Monday, October 19, 2009

Scrappy Crafts/ scrappy 'tam.


Well, it's fall, and I'm feeling creative. And when I feel creative, I have to make something. So, I have designed a HAT pattern that I am calling "the Scrappy tam", as in those expensive tam 'o shanter hats you can buy here.

So, I really am designing a pattern, and I would like to sell it. In the meantime, I am making my sample hats as I tweak my pattern.

I am calling it "the shabby tam" because I use all recycled materials--even the lining is recycled!

Denim: I love working with denim. I love mixing and matching denim with other fabrics. I was at a "fill a bag for $1.00" sale a few weeks ago and picked up some great denim.
Also, I found several plaid, wool skirts! So, in Emily's hat above, I used a plaid wool and denim. The only bummer is that I broke 3 needles sewing through the layers. Unfortunately, this is not a tutorial, but I plan to sell the pattern very reasonably. But, you can get a taste of what I am doing by these photos.



Nathanael is wearing a plaid wool and a blue wool from a skirt.
I was able to line it with the lining from the lining that naturally came with the blue skirt.

This is a denim on denim. I purposely frayed the edge of the stripe to give it a scrappy look.

Works for boys also!

So, I really enjoy working with scraps! It has inspired me to design my own pattern. This is my contest entry for the Sew Mama Sew Scrap Challenge.

And this is also my Tackle it Tuesday post! Thanks for joining me!

11 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Wow! I'm really impressed. That hat pattern looks like a complex thing to come up with on your own. Good job!

sara said...

So cute, but I nearly choked when I saw that site was charging 90 something bucks for one. You're very clever to make your own.

Jenny P. said...

So cute. I love that style. How is the pattern coming? You could try it out of a dark felt or wool with a pin just over the eye for a pretty catching piece. Love it!

Organizing Mommy said...

Mrs. P: it was complicated! I was getting exasperated, and then I prayed. Funny how that works.

Sara: I could sell them also. What do you think a good price would be? saying my time is worth about $25.00/hour?

Jenny: I think I know what you are talking about. The style is less boofy at the top, right?

Dominique said...

Those are really good looking hats. I can't sew and really am impressed by your skills.

Ann Marie said...

very cute! great job making your own pattern too!! i love sewing when i have the time! (love your header image!!)

here is my tackle post!

sara said...

I think that sounds about right, but I guess you won't know until you set a price and see if they sell - and then adjust your price up or down depending on how they do. But I've never done it so what do I know?

Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free said...

How creative! Great way to use up something that would normally be thrown away.

Susie said...

They look great!! Awesome tackle:-)

summur braley said...

those look fabulous! What a creative gal u are!

Anonymous said...

Bean,Love the tam on all 4 kids. They are great models for your creations. I should have seen this coming back when you were 14 and entering the Rit dye contest. You are awesome!
love, Mom