Sunday, October 4, 2009

That long awaited for organizing post...

Be still my heart. I'm thinking about writing about organizing, so don't be too shocked. So far this season I've commented on everything from France to fancy socks, Pioneer days to purple sweaters, from Yoopers to uppity-up castles.

And NOW I think I ought to redeem myself by at least mentioning organizing once in a while.

In my defense, let me say that there are others who are doing it SO well that they hardly need my help. So, what can I do to contribute to this body of thought that has not already been said already?

I like to approach my organizing on a high brow level, helping people discover more about themselves and why they may or may not be "organized".

I think I have mentioned that I do not come by traditionally organized thoughts and actions naturally. I am constantly doing battle with my mind and body to get it under control.

The problem is this: I am not a detailed person; I'm a global-thinker. I like the big picture, the vision, the inspiration. I like unique thoughts, people and places. I like unique uses for things and non-traditional ways of doing and being. I like variety, changes and off-kilter arrangements.

This does not lend itself to order. Order lends itself to repetition, sameness, and routine. And may I add: organization?

So, the real key to getting organized is getting to know what motivates you and then choosing to make good decisions throughout the day that will bring you to your end goals, whatever those are.


As soon as we realize that our objectives are being compromised by our inability to take control of our space, time and circumstances, we can begin to map out a plan to get organized.

After all, what's the point of getting more organized if what you are already doing is working for you?

It also involves not comparing yourself to someone else's standard of organization.

It's not about appearances. We need to get over the Martha Stewart mentality of what an organized kitchen looks like, if your style is a little bit looser than that.

Measure your progress in organization by whether or not you are achieving your own goals.

This is very practically worked out. Let's say it is a general goal for you to "eat healthier". Now, I am not going to define what that means for you or how that is going to happen, but I know that in my life, there is no "eating healthier" without some planning. Planning takes time. On a practical level, I need to sit down and write a menu and plan a grocery list. In other words, I need to fight the constant urge to "wing it" for every meal. I know that I'll be fighting against my natural tendencies to "wing it" even when I have a menu plan and all of the ingredients on hand. I have to do battle with myself to even follow a recipe! Yes, I really am that pathetic.

For some people this is a "no brainer". They don't even struggle in order to follow a recipe. They aren't tempted every day to "wing it". Their kids aren't into "winging it" either--as my kids even used the past tense.. "I just wung it.."

Knowing that I have this intense battle going on, I've decided to relax and allow myself to wing it for the last few meals of the week and do what's on the menu for the first 2-3. On a good week, I'll back 5/7 planned menus. That's another reason why I am not currently posting menus. I feel so guilty about buying the food and then not fixing the food. Ugh.

So, with everything else that we naturally struggle with, it is no time to give up the fight. Whether your battle is disorganization, weight gain, overspending, being undisciplined, or any other type of problem, God does not want us to give up. We all have our battles. Brush the dust off and start again. There's a new day in the morning. Don't wallow in the guilt of it. Get up and shake it off and try again.

7 comments:

momstheword said...

Awesome post! We really do ourselves no good when we compare ourselves to others. What works for them may not work for others.

You're right, healthy eating needs some planning involved, or we sneak back into our old habits!

Ruby said...

"Getting to know what motives me" ?
Visitors is a great motivator for me!
I tend to wing it a lot too!(In fact I have "wung it" most of the time!
Great post!





'

sara said...

I relate. I do really well for a few weeks and then I get sick of the sameness. Off the tope of my head my motivators are rearranging the furniture, having guests (hat tip, Ruby), seeing beautiful & creative solutions in other people's homes, and new cleaning products or a new system. Thanks for the inspiration!

DarcyLee said...

Great post. I'm realizing (finally) that I am who I am but I should always strive to improve. So, what works for other people may not work for me and vice verse. But I do need to keep trying to do better. Posts like this sure help me out.

Erin said...

Love this post. Being of an age (I'll be 46 this month...when did that happen?) has helped me shed so many things, including unrealistic ideas of who I'm supposed to be and how I'm supposed to live. Now I do what works for me and look with interest at works for others. I feel I am open to learning because I'm no longer comparing myself (and finding myself lacking). As for menus (not that I'm doing one these days, you understand), but the idea that seems to work the best for our family is a list of 14 or so possibilities (that I have the ingredients for) and crossing things off as I've made them. That way I'm not stuck to a schedule that might not fit reality, but I'm using our resources well.

Erin said...

P.S. Hosting Game Night for the neighborhood every Saturday night for the past year has forced me to keep the main levels of my house organized...what a blessing!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Great advice. Unless the plan works with your personality, there's no hope that you'll stick to it. I'm always trying to figure out how we really live, and then how to make that work in a streamlined sort of way.