Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Those Amazing kids of ours..

I am sitting in the midst of giants, and so are you, if you are a parent. These children we are trying to bring up in the nurture and admonition in the Lord, are amazing.

This group of young people that I am working with in the "Young Writers Guild" are no older than 14; and yet, they are fully adult in so many ways. Their talents amaze me. They are writing books, editing each other's manuscripts, seeking out publishing companies, and learning about the book writing world--all because they want to.

There is no adult pushing them to do this. As far as I know, none of their parents are authors. They are just regular homeschooling parents like you and me. But these parents have come to the realization that we all need to come to, if we are going to have a successful homeschooling experience.

Our kids have talents, abilities, intellect and interests... beyond us. That's right. They are smarter than us! It could be at 16, 14, 12 or even 8 years old. Sooner or later, they are going to emerge; and that is O.K. In fact, it is not only O.K., it is great. It is fabulous.

Why can I say that so confidently? Because I have seen it happen, and I'm thrilled. Now instead of pushing a child from thing to thing, I am guiding a young adult. Instead of using video games and "farmtown" as a reward for a job well done, the job itself is its own reward.

The key is preparing their character for higher responsibility. The young people I work with in the writer's guild are not perfect, but they are responsible, professional, and gracious and they respect my authority, as well as their parents'.

If you are teaching your children to respect you because you are smarter than they are, you are going to be in a world of hurt when they reach 12 or 14. Children respect their parents as a command from the Lord. If my children love the Lord Jesus, they will respect their parents. I can always get a pulse on how their relationship with the Lord is doing, based on the type of responses I get from my children when I ask them to do hard things..or anything, for that matter.

As a parent, do not take sassy responses from your children. Make them tow the line. Teach them character. If all we've done is produced very smart, but sassy children, we have utterly failed. The schools could have done that job.

If you have trained your children to respect you and love the Lord Jesus, there is no end to the things they can accomplish, even as young people. They will be giants. They will be amazing. Whatever your child's abilities are will be amazing. I work with writers. But none of my own children are fond of writing. My kids are building robots, or taking pictures, playing the cello, and tinkering with electronics. All of which, I find amazing, since I do none of those things.

So, what about you, parent? Are you willing to let your child be amazing? Can you enjoy your giant?

5 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Wise, wise words.

We can prepare their character and then watch them soar :0)

Julie

Becky said...

Great stuff. Thank you for the reminder.

Mrs. Parunak said...

"If all we've done is produced very smart, but sassy children, we have utterly failed."

Love it. Great thoughts.

The Redhead Riter said...

Very nice post.

You can preach until you are blue in the face, but you have to live the example to really "teach" your children.

Also, letting go so they make "little" mistakes when they are young allows them to have the history of choosing right when they are older.

Linda said...

Awesome post. I hope that I am raising my kids this way. :)