Monday, November 9, 2009

Bible Study Tackle

I don't know if everyone loves IMPERATIVES as much as I do.

Imperatives are direct commands, either with a stated or implied "you".

For example, I said, "Clean your room" that's a direct command with an implied "you".

I could have said, "You, clean your room" that's an imperative with a stated "you". Both are imperatives.

It's a very strong way of speaking. When someone uses an imperative, he means to get our attention. For example:

Be strong. Get organized. Stay the course. Lay low.

Think about how strong those statements are compared to these:

You might want to think about getting strong.

Staying organized is a good idea.

I would encourage you to stay the course.

Smart people often lay low.

It's not just the extra words, it's the grammatical structure that makes them weaker statements. In a bigger sense, they are not bad statements, just less powerful. Less powerful statements are a necessary part of our language because we would overwhelm people if all we did was speak in imperatives.

God speaks to us in imperatives as well as other ways. All Scripture is God's word, so don't misunderstand what I am about to say.

If we fail to see the imperatives, we have failed to see the "big picture" of what is going on in the chapter/ the book or the Bible. We have failed to see direct commands to us. Oh, not every book of the Bible has direct commands to us, so it is nice to see when something is waving its hand, trying to get our attention. If there are no imperatives in the whole book, we have to look a little harder to find the big picture. I am just saying that this is a very easy, obvious way to do it.

It's a strong form of language, so every so often we need to have many other forms of language adorning those strong statements. In other words, even very direct people who speak very directly, need to soften up with sentence variation. (note to self..)

We were looking at 2 Timothy yesterday in our meetings. While I was listening, I was also making lists. (I multi-task all the time.. it's a mental illness...)

Anyway, I found these imperatives in II Timothy.

If you would like to find them yourself, I'll give just the references first:

In II Timothy, (this is what I found, at least. Maybe you would find more/ or less)

1:6
1:8 (2 x)
1: 13
2: 1
2:2
2: 3
2: 7
2: 8
2: 14 (2X)
2: 15
2:16
2: 19
2: 22 (2X)
2: 23
3:5
4: 2 (5 x)
4: 9
4: 13
4: 15
4: 19
4: 21
---------------------------------
Answers later! I'm amazed at the impact of 4: 2! Wonder where the punch of this letter is?

Tackle it Tuesday/ 5 minutes for Mom link up

6 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Very interesting! I agree 4:2 is certainly direct! I look forward to reading your next post about this.

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for all the verses! I will certainly look them up during my quiet time! :)

AJ said...

Interesting! :) Found you by randomly clicking until this popped up! LOL! Nice post!

Susie said...

I love the focus of this post: action:-) Awesome tackle!

Pamela M. Kramer said...

Awesome tackle! I got a little lost with Tim Gunn in your side bar. He rocks!

Organizing Mommy said...

Pamela, I think that ad was posting last night, and I got lost too. LOL. I don't have a TV hookup now, so I have to do all that kind of stuff over the net. I would like to be a designer! Not sure how to get started. I want to design clothes for real moms, not models. I don't like the fancy styles they have on the show.