Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 30



Welcome to your free weekly butt-kicking in household chaos control!! So, what is the crazy Organizing Mommy up to this week? Well, I dumped the contents of my fabric supply on to the floor. Really exciting!

Yes, there really is MORE. This pile is the many "started projects", miscellaneous wool, jeans and scraps.. Oh, what fun. She who will use up other people's scraps must also organize them.

And it took a frenetic 2 hours of constant blitzing to get this mess under control. What was I thinking? I was so buzzed at the end of the night, I could hardly form two syllables in a row that made sense. Do you guys get that way, or is it just me?


And I did get rid of a bag or two of decent fabric to donate to a friend.

I also decided to list the first 14 known projects that I have started or have materials for. I am on #6, for those who are wondering. I finished piecing that quilt top, and my dear MOTHER is quilting it for me.

I have made a promise to my Mom never to make another quilt. We'll see how long THAT promise lasts! She assures me that it will be FINE if I decide to make another one. I think I'm done, unless someone can invent a way of quilting that does not involve skill and precision and perfectionistic tendencies.
I like designing. I don't even care so much about the sewing of it, except I'm always dying to see if my design is a good one. And since I do not have "sewing rats" under me, I have to do the sewing myself. Anyone want to be a sewing rat for me? Nevermind. You don't need that torture.

And all of this cleaning of the craft room and sewing has alerting me to the fact that I can not sew and keep up with the rest of the world. I may even need to go back to planning meals if I am going to pretend to be a big sewing designer!!

Here is something else I've discovered: I can blitz with kids almost the entire house and have a meal in the crockpot BEFORE 9:30 a.m. if I have to. I'm just saying. I've done it once, and therefore; it can be done.

For this weekend, I would like to:
Menu plan, clean the freezer, laundry, iron shirts, and maybe if I'm a good girl.. some more sewing! What about you? Feeling motivated? Feeling the need for a blitz? Love to have you join us!
-------------------------------------------
If you are new to blitzing, here are some other links on the topic:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.

Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!

And for you guys who like to move slowly, try plodding.



8 comments:

Deborah said...

Lol! These days I feel like I'm plodding. I'm going back to menu planning too! I just can't seem to keep up to the speed of life these days.

Your blitzing project looks great! I did a similar blitz, but that was about four weeks ago. I'm still unsure where/how to store my decent sized scraps. I guess the Rubbermaid they're in still works fine :oS.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings!
Deborah

sara said...

As I was blitzing yesterday, I was thinking "Jena would love this - I should be taking pictures," but truth be told, I don't feel much like blogging lately anyway.

But I thought you'd like to know that I got my husband involved in a joint two hour blitz of our own dungeon during which time, I sorted my stash of fabrics (what a coinkydink!) and appropriated an old china hutch for use as my craft cabinet.

We also sorted through A LOT of old paint cans, some of which came with the house when we bought it from hubby's family five years ago. AND we made good progress on sorting out the "tool room." My husband and I are both sort of surprised at how much we were able to get done in a little time. Thanks!

Sarah said...

I'm very envious of you today. Where do you get all that energy to do all that! My blitzing will just have to wait until next week.

Organizing Mommy said...

Deborah: Yes, rubbermaids are my solution also. I just got a pile of new stuff to deal with after that blitz. I'm running out of room.

Sara: You are true organizing mommy convert. You used the words "blitz" and "dungeon" in the same post. I had no idea I was starting a "cult" LOL.
And yes, I would be proud of you!

Sarah: Now how do I get to your blog and find out who you are? Energy? I'm insane. Or haven't you figured that out yet??

kristilea said...

What a blitz that was today! You have to feel so much better having that done though.

I had a sewing project that I put off for months, and I finally got it done Tuesday when I wasn't feeling well enough to do anything else. I too, find it really hard to do sewing projects and keeping up with everything else. It just takes me so long to sew. Of course, my skills are limited, so that may be part of it. I hope to get pictures up of my completed project before too long. I'll let you know when I do.

I want so bad to make a quilt. I just don't think that's something I can accomplish without someone physically showing me how. I have it on my list of things I want to learn to do though.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

No pictures this time (so no link) but with the boys away I got all the laundry caught up, helped the oldest pack for his trip (Disneyland!!!), and got the floors cleaned in the four upstairs bedrooms, bathrooms, and vacuumed the stairs (NOT my favorite job)... and it looks SO much better!

Just knowing you're blitzing is good accountability/inspiration for me.

Maybe next week will be about sewing...

Julie

Sarah said...

Some of my kids don't want my blog to be found by search machines, so I just give the blog address to those who want it.
http://sarahjaeschke.wordpress.com

Mrs. Parunak said...

Great job on your craft organizing. And it's so nice of your mom to finish your quilt for you.