Friday, November 20, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 32: food blitz



Well, it's a late Friday night, and I'm so sorry to be late about posting. I had many ideas about blitzing this week, but the "food blitz" came to the top of the list. Most noteworthy was the crockpot yogurt. I really liked it this time. I wasn't so scared this time around either. I think the first time you make it, the idea of leaving warm milk on the counter all night gives a lot of us the heebee jeebies at first. So, here I am--alive and well, after eating this stuff all week. I made it on Monday. What makes for a very yummy yogurt is straining the whey off.

In this small jar, it strained quickly and I got a thick "cream cheese" texture--yummy!



With the rest, it took longer to strain off. The liquid that ends up at the bottom is called "whey". It is used for various things like making kimchee. (which I have never done)

With the thick yogurt, I made a combination of raspberries and sugar and added it in--yummy! Pecans and bananas are also added! I am addicted! I think the family likes it also.

The next project was from last week. I decided to make some things for crockpot and freeze them. A friend of ours has a restaurant, and he gave us these containers. I thought they would be just the right size for..

the crockpot! Oh, what a delight! No defrosting necessary. Since my weekdays tend to be crazy, it is so nice to have a frozen "blop" of a meal to put in the crockpot. Unfortunately, the concept is good, but the meal itself was...
dubbed "the martian meal", which tells you exactly how excited they were to eat miscellaneous "green food". In reality, though, it was not bad, and everyone managed to eat a few bowls each. If they don't like it, they eat enough to survive on. If they like it, they eat every last drop. whatEVER.

And, as it was, the darling daughter just happened to be doing a science experiment for her biology class on the same day as I served this meal. Do you see any resemblance?Her experiment was a combination of split peas, dish soap and meat tenderizer. Who thinks of this stuff? I don't remember Jamie doing this experiment he took biology from Mrs. Larsen, but he probably did! All I remember is a rush order for the paramecium for some big project.

Speaking of Mrs. Larsen, our homeschool co-op is taking a break on Tuesday of next week, which is a relief to everyone because everyone knows that a homeschooling mom does not really clean her house until the week before Thanksgiving. It's just an unwritten rule amongst homeschoolers. There are plenty of those unwritten rules that I should probably go ahead and write down--just in case someone should ever want to know them. But for now, I'll say that one of the fundamental truths of homeschooling is that by Thanksgiving, all of us need TIME to clean our homes.

And blitzing.. whether it's a get a bunch of meals together for the freezer, or swooping through the kitchen, or putting the laundry away in one concentrated laundry folding session are basically survival techniques. They are not normally the deep cleaning sessions which require more than 20 minute blitzes here and there. But blitzing helps keep things to a workable sanity level, even on the busiest days. It saves us from giving up altogether and being swooped into the vortex of the eternal household tornado..

So, how are the rest of you doing?

-------------------------------------------------

If you are new to blitzing, here are some other links on the topic:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.

Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!

And for you guys who like to move slowly, try plodding.



9 comments:

Braley Mama said...

That Yogurt looks awesome! And probably a lot less sugar than store bought. I feel you on the one big laundry folding session. I would love to hear all the homeschooling mom tricks:)We are praying about the idea of homeschooling. Have a great weekend!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

That bowl... that your yogurt is in... the one with the blue sponge painting...

... that wouldn't be a Christmas dish, would it?

I'm just asking, because if it were a Christmas dish, it wouldn't happen to look like the dish near the bottom of this post, would it?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

PS What was in the crock pot?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I tried to make a link.

I don't think it's working.

Does your dish look like the one you'll see if you could find this?

http://herdinggrasshoppers.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-traditions.html

Jackie said...

I keep thinking of trying to make my own yogurt. You may have convinced me.

I'd love to continue our prior food discussion sometime too. Feel free to email me anytime at jlyarnworks at gmail.com. To answer your question, the JL Yarnworks blog is my main one. The other hasn't been updated in eons. Sadly, I may have to let it go.

Organizing Mommy said...

O.K. Braley Mama, you are tempting me! It would have to be pure sarcasm, though. Since it's been a while since I've taken myself too seriously.

Herding (Julie): Well, the crockpot.. broccoli, spinach purree with a milk base, potatoes, some meat? and I can't remember?

Jackie: Nobody has complained about the yogurt. I want to research your ideas.

Becky said...

Ah - since our big Thanksgiving dinner was yesterday, I just got around to reading your post. I did my own food blitz on Fri. and Sat. to prepare for it (23 hrs worth of cooking). I'd love to see a real list of all our rules (and yes I'm laughing since the only reason my house is really "clean" right now is because we've already had our dinner!). But you know that once we clean it for Thanksgiving we can pretty much breeze through the rest of the holiday season by keeping up the vaacuming/sweeping, knocking the dust off the things in the front of the bookcases and doing clutter control every so often.

Mrs. Parunak said...

So what WAS that biology experiment anyway??? Does meat tenderizer do amazing things to peas?

Organizing Mommy said...

Becky: I'm jealous! You're done already! Here I am bloggin away.. hoping my big house will go away also... (not really, but)

Mrs. P: the experiment? Ugh. Can I get back to you? or have Joanna post on her blog? It involved split peas, meat tenderizer and liquid soap.