Sunday, November 29, 2009

Broccoli-chicken almondine (crockpot)

Because I am a new gardener, can someone please tell me if it is normal in Northern Illinois to have broccoli sprouting around Thanksgiving?

I pulled up almost everything in the garden, except the broccoli and the brussel sprouts. I'm not even sure why I didn't pull them up, but they just looked green and healthy, even though we've already had frost. Now, we really didn't get anything out of these plants all summer, but here we are in LATE November, and we have all of this: ???


So, I picked all of the broccoli (from only 2 plants) and the flat leaf parsley and decided to create a new recipe that celebrates the big harvest.

Broccoli-chicken almondine fantastico...

3 pounds of chicken breasts, cooked and cut up in decent size chunks. Set aside

1 stick of butter
1 small onion sliced lengthwise
1 cup of fresh mushrooms
4 cups of broccoli pieces
1 T flat leaf parsley

Saute the veggies in the butter until the broccoli turns a bright green and onions are soft

Add:
1/2 cup of white flour
1T. of chicken base ( better than bouillon, brand)
2 t. salt (or less)

Stir until a roux forms

Add: 4 cups of milk slowly, thickening it into a sauce
Take it off the heat and add: 1/2 cup mayonaise and 1/2 cup of cream cheese (technically you could eliminate these if you want to be healthier)

Pour all ingredients into crockpot container,

Garnish with: 1 cup of slivered almonds

Cook on High for 3 hours or low for 6

Or: in a conventional oven for 1 hour at 325*

Serve with: whole wheat spaghetti noodles or fettucini. YUMMY!

Menu for the week:

Monday: agape stew/ bread sticks (working on a recipe for this one)
Wednesday: Italian
Thursday: Asian style (haven't decided yet!)
Friday: ham/ potatoes/ fresh salad

Hope your menu planning is going well. Go to organizing junkie's for more MPM.


4 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

I have heard that kale is best after the first frost. It's a cruciferous vegitable, too, right? Maybe broccoli is also best after a frost???

Angie said...

This sounds really good. I'm always looking for crockpot recipes!

Deborah said...

Broccoli and other cruciferous veggies like the cooler weather and will often happily produce until snowfall.

I'm always in need of another crockpot recipe -- especially one with broccoli! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Blessings!
Deborah

Keli said...

wow. My broccolli looks like yours! I was wondering the same thing. I'm very thankful my broccoli is still going, my kids are eating it like crazy! Thanks for the new recipe!