Thursday, December 17, 2009

Blitz-It Friday # 36 GIFT Making Blitz part 2

Yes!! I am so excited! Here is the evidence that a blitzing mama can sew herself into oblivion, get the gifts wrapped and in the mail. I suppose you want to know what's in these boxes, eh?

(I had a picture of boxes up, but I took it down)

Well, before I show you what's in the boxes, my dear husband said, "We need curtains in the craft room as soon as possible; it's freezing down there.." So, I took it as a direct command from the Lord to get these made first. They are pull shades for the sliding glass doors in that room. The fabric was on clearance, and there wasn't enough of the yellow (which I really liked) so I added some of the brown suede-looking fabric as a border.
At the bottom, I added a wood strip in the "pocket" hem of the shades to weight it down a little better and keep more of the cold out.
The shades were lined with some quilted fabric that I had from a few years ago. (The supplies do not ever go dry here..) And with the Lord's help, these were hung by lunchtime on Saturday. (Yes, Saturday night is when we had all those kids over for a party!)
So, with that out of the way, I quickly descended on these slipper projects. These are for my five year old niece. I would like to show the soft, pink cashmere sweater that this started out as, but I had work to do and forgot to take the before shot. They are lined with fleece scraps picked up from a garage sale.

All of the buttons are from a donation from Mrs. Beck. Thank you, Mrs. Beck for the large button collection! (I know there are people out there right now who are insanely covetous of these buttons that you have collected for 65 years)
I think everyone saw the booties that came from this next sweater. If you didn't, you can look at the tutorial here. Then again, my tutorial writing skills may be a bit "off" since no one was jumping at the bit to try it.
This is the final draft of the hat and booties. Everything got embellished with Mrs. Beck buttons and flower motifs.

Sometimes being a member of my family does not have it's benefits, as demonstrated below. Not only did this hat need some re-working, but my model was grossly underpaid and under-appreciated.
But she did not mind modeling these. These were also made from the aforementioned pink sweater and fleece from aforementioned garage sale. This was a gift for Emily's gift exchange for her "manners class". They told us she had to bring a gift, so she brought these. I think she ended up with a "pez" candy dispenser with a princess on top. She was happy as a clam.
This next sweater said, "KATIE" to me. The only bummer with working with this type of fabric, is that it is VERY stretchy and unravels quickly.
All of the pieces have to be serged before sewing them together. The fleece acts like a stabilizer as well as a lining. I worked with it, but it was more challenging that good old fashioned felted wool.
Why not add some slippers too?

Now, Muz! Don't look! (I call my mother in law, Muz) I hope you like these.

And this last one has nothing to do with the slipper theme at all. To tell you the truth, I let each person's personality speak to me when I'm creating a gift for them. Case in point. Eliza will be the only one getting a bag with her name on it. The blanket stitch borders each letter on the black first, and then I sewed the unit on to the bag afterward. I think this is my favorite one!
As you can imagine, there are entire "Auntie Jena" shrines of homemade gifts in the basements of all of my nieces and nephews. They have no idea what to do with everything but feel bad throwing it out. O.K. maybe not exactly, but I think I sufficiently went NUTS for my dear husband's side of the family. And I apologize to all of you, in advance, this is probably not going to be the last homemade gift adventure. In fact, I feel like I'm just getting started!

In a sense, I am just getting started, since I still have to do MY family, ugh!!!!!!!
My side of the family is little more boring, in the sense that I only have one brother, and he does not have children. So, I'll be making some things for my brother and his wife, my Mom and Dad and my grandparents. (No, I do not make Will and the kids stuff! If they want something, they can ask for it at other times of the year!)

My kids prefer, and I quote, "hard, cold cash".


So, what do I plan to do THIS weekend? I'm hoping to recover from this nonsense and come up for air out of my craft room. I do need to do a little more sewing, but then again, it might be prudent to actually clean the house a little also..?

What are you up to? If you would like to join us, we'd love to have you link up.
-------------------------------------------------

If you are new to blitzing, here are some other links on the topic:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.

Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!

And for you guys who like to move slowly, try plodding.



7 comments:

Organizing Mommy said...

Thanks to a faithful reader-- Mrs. Parunak--I am not planning to send the gifts back to myself. GAH!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

You can still see the picture because one end of your parenthesis is a link.

You might not want your home address showing up...

Julie

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm so impressed!

I've been making some gifts too, but can't post most of them.

I've done a baby quilt, two sets of covers for HUGE throw pillows for my nieces, and I'm working on a table runner for my cousin.

You get the BEST sweaters to work with!

Julie

(wv: MANGO)

Organizing Mommy said...

Julie: I am such a spazz!! O.K. I think I really have deleted the photo and the link. Yes, I do get the best sweaters. What is WV Mango?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Sorry.

"WV" - word verification

It just cracks me up that sometimes it actually IS a word, or something funnier than a word.

And "mango" just seemed to go with the fun tropical colors of that girls' sweater :0)

My mind runs off by itself sometimes...

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff! I love your curtains. And I think it was brilliant to put wood in the bottom!

Contemplative Mom said...

The curtains turned out wonderfully! I love all your homemade gifts.