Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's 11: 48 p.m. Saturday night

It's 11: 48 p.m. Saturday night, and I'm just now sitting down with my feet up. To my right is a lit candle, and to my left are the quilts along the hearth of the fireplace where several kids were sitting not even an hour ago. In front of me is the kitchen, all cleaned up, floor swept and mopped and dishwasher humming cheerily.

Tonight was our "celebration party" for the Youth Leadership Program training for a very fine group of young people. Tonight we had: our five, three from the S family, and five from the N family. We had 12 children ranging from 12 to 21, and one four year old. In that group, there was not one fight, not one unkind word, not one immodestly dressed flirtatious boy or girl, not one swear word, and not one hint of jealousy. There was no "pairing off" or talking of who likes whom. It was just kids enjoying kids in a wholesome way. There were snacks, games, stories, music and fun times.

But there was something else different about this party. There were three sets of moms and dads in attendance also. Even though the moms and dads just sat and visited, their presence was real and appreciated. (OK, I got in there and played the games.. but the other adults didn't).

There's a sense in which I wish I could stop time and have this time of my kids' lives halt right here. None of my kids are into the boyfriend/ girlfriend stage yet. Things are still so... pure, so child-like. And yet, I know it won't be that way forever. Kids grow up. Your friends' kids grow up. Before we know it, it will be upon us. But for today... thank you Lord for today.

Thank you, Lord, for this day, this moment. Right here. Right now. Amen.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Just ran across your blog.-- super cute and super entertaining. :)

Roxanna said...

I am finally sitting down myself LOL your post makes me want to light some candles :)

I also love the pure stage when kids I wish it only lasted a bit longer. Alexander is almost 9 and it scares me that soon he will think girls are cute and not just a play buddy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for bringing tears to my ears as I both remember a better time, and work towards times like that in my own home.

Tracy in South Africa

Becky said...

This was the sort of thing I most liked and appreciated about the family integrated church we now attend. And that stage of childrearing is totally great. I thought I might be able to enjoy it for just a bit longer, but it wasn't meant to be. Superman (if you remember him from by blog about the tree), has decided to hang around quite a bit more, and not just to help around the house -although, bless him, he'll do that too.

Angie said...

my goodness woman! You were on it last night! I'm hoping to hit the ground running tomorrow. I can't wait actually!
Have a great week!

sara said...

You can't do it - you can't restore my faith in youth groups. :) That's a joke, sort of. We were a rotten bunch in my group. I'm growing out of it - it's only taking 20 plus years. Glad you got the good ones.

Organizing Mommy said...

Roxanna: You actually have to have conversations with them often to curtail the natural instincts at a young age.

Anonymous: Tracy: Have we met? Do you have a blog or anything? What brings you to South Africa?

Becky: I hear ya. We're on the verge of that next stage.

Angie: How encouraging! Not sure what it was, but I'm glad you are encouraged.

Now Sara: (you are always the tough one, eh?) I have no desire to restore the youth group. And I'm sorry about bad experiences you've had. This was a unique situation. I'm writing about it in more detail next post.

Deborah said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening!

Blessings!
Deborah

sara said...

*sigh* I don't mean to be but I suppose I am. I'm looking forward to the detailed post.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Happy smile and sigh :0)

We're in that niche too. My boys don't even think girls are gross, much less attractive.

Sounds like a lovely evening,

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

So lovely! It sounds so much like the hymn sings I used to go to with my cousins (Armstrongs) when I was a teenager.