Friday, December 4, 2009

Pie Crust recipe

Pie crusts.. do you make them or buy them? It's a toss for me, but recently I've been trying to avoid buying the pre-made to cut down on trans-fats (crisco/ vegetable shortening). So, if you think that making your own pie crust is over the top--maybe this method will be worth trying.

And you should know this about me, I never do anything small. Every recipe is huge, including this one.

9 cups of white flour (or ground pastry flour)
1 t. salt
3/4 cup of coconut oil
3/4 cup butter [one and a half sticks]

With a pastry cutter or your hands, combine everything together. They call it "cutting" the shortening in. As you work it in, the flour and fat will combine and become like a coarse mealy texture.

If you grab a hand full of it and squeeze, it should temporarily hold together like this:

And if you jiggle your hand again, it will easily fall back into a crumb texture. What you want to do is work the mixture until there are no obvious lumps of butter or coconut oil floating around. Once your have reached this consistency, you can start adding ice water in small amounts. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever been able to measure exactly how much ice water is required. I would guess it was about 1 cup or more. Once the water is in the mix, you do not want to overmix or knead it. This is not bread, OK? In bread, you WANT to develop the gluten. In pie crust, if you handle it too much, it will get tough.

Separate this dough into balls or clumps of about 1/2 cup each. I get 8 from this recipe. Don't worry if the dough isn't completely clumping together. This is where most people get discouraged. How do I get this thing that barely holds together to actually turn into a pie crust??

Let's try this! Get a one gallon ziploc bag and dust it with more flour. Put the little dough blob in there and seal the bag. Get the excess air out just before the final zip.


Roll the dough mixture while it is IN THE BAG. Don't be afraid to add some pressure! Take the dough all the way to the ends of the bags, and make everything even. This is quite fun at this point!

At this point, you can put whatever crusts you aren't using in the freezer. They will be ready for you when you want to make a pot pie, a pasty or just a regular pie!



Or you could slide the crust out of the bag and fit it to the size of your pie pan right now.
And you can just go ahead and proceed with your recipe!
If you are needing the roll the crust out more than the plastic bag allows, dust the surface of the counter with flour and it should be pretty easy for you. Happy homemade baking, you suzy homemakers!!

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Have you had success freezing this recipe? I used to make pie crusts from scratch. However, when Pillsbury came along with their wonderful rolled crusts, I quickly became a convert. I am quite tempted to try this.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

What a great idea to use ziplock bags! All ready to freeze! I love the idea of making several at once, therefore just making the big mess once.

I've been "cheating" and using the store-bought crusts from time to time, but home-made tastes so much better.

If you want to roll them bigger than a ziplock bag, try rolling your crust between two sheets of wax paper.

Sprinkle a few drops of water on the counter first and that will keep the bottom piece of wax paper from slipping around.

Then, when it's all rolled out, remove the top piece of wax paper and you can easily pick it up by the bottom piece and flip it into your pie dish.

Julie

Emily @ Under$1000PerMonth said...

What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I don't even roll my pie crusts. I just smudge the crust into the pan with my fingers. My husband and babies don't know the difference. If I ever make pie for guests, I'll remember this!

sara said...

I've been putting off making pot pie because the crust is always discouraging no matter how many martha-esque articles I read on the subject. Your method looks great. I usually use one of two methods - either I roll between wax paper, flip, peel, and pray for the best OR I flop it in and then patch the holes.

Organizing Mommy said...

Jenny: Yes, I freeze them.

Julie: i know what you mean. I was buying the store bought ones a lot last year. They aren't that expensive--but just another avenue of bad fats..

Also: if you find it is too hard to get the crust out of the bag, you can "cut it to shape" with a pair of kitchen scissors and sacrifice the bag. I didn't mention this because I knew Emily would disown my blog if I wasted a bag! LOL just kidding.

Becky said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it - I can't wait to try it out.

momstheword said...

What an awesome idea! I love this. We only make pie once or twice a year, when my son makes it for the holidays. I haven't made a pie in years so I'll have to remember this.

BlueCastle said...

Brilliant! I use butter in my pie crusts, but never thought of coconut oil. We use coconut oil in tortillas and just love it. I am going to have to try your recipe and method. Looks wonderful. :)

Stacy said...

Fantastic idea with the ziploc bags! I make my own crusts all the time, but never would have thought of freezing them that way. Thanks!

DarcyLee said...

With your step-by-step tutorial, I might just be able to pull this off after many, many failures with pie crust. I haven't tried coconut oil yet but have been meaning to. Since we are both midwest gals, how much do you pay for it in your area?

Charlene said...

Well! I just recently made my first "scratch" pie crust--it was fun, but a lot of mess and work compared to my usual Pillsbury roll out crust--now with this, I could have the mess and work once and bake multiple times from the result! Great idea!

The Boojes said...

Fantastic idea! I've gone to making my own pie crusts in the past year or so, but this would make it all so much simpler! That seems like such a small amount of fat for the huge amount of flour, though...are the numbers correct?

Mrs. Parunak said...

Rolling out piecrusts in a bag? Brilliant! What a great tip.

Kathryn said...

I used to make my own crusts, years ago. Then Pillsbury came out with theirs (long before i was into healthy food) & it tasted the same as what i was making at home & so i didn't make them any more.

Now, i'm trying again. But i seem to have lost the knack for it. AND i'm trying to make them gluten-free which is quite a challenge. They just don't come out quite right. I had been thinking that the next time i try i may try the oil pie crust (rather than solid butter, coconut oil, or the non-trans-fat palm oil shortening i have).

Organizing Mommy said...

Boojes: I MAY have the fat decreased too much for your liking. Just add more as needed. I found that the coconut oil goes a lot farther than crisco, so when I tried to substitute the coconut oil in the equal amounts as the crisco, it was way too greasy. In this case, I was conservative.

If anyone tries this and can give me a more accurate appraisal of the fat content, I'll alter the recipe on the post! As usual, I jot down the directions as I'm making it, and promptly lose them before I can blog them. (ugh!)

Kathryn, I was once diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, and I was trying all these crazy flour combinations for pie crusts. In the end, I found it was easier just to EAT the filling and skip the crust!

I knew a lady who always swore by her oil recipe--olive oil maybe?