Monday, December 14, 2009

Tutorial: making slippers from a sweater sleeve


I fell in love with this sweater when I saw it. I knew that it was saying "slippers for Annabelle". So, I wanted to created something unique for her. So, I got an idea. What if I could somehow transform the sleeve into a bootie?

Booties that would look like this? Just the thing a fancy 12 year old girl needs, eh?
So, here's how to do it. First, trace around a shoe that fits. We need to get a shape of the bottom of your foot. Since I have a pre-made pattern that I know works, I used that. Now add 1/2" (or more) all around the entire shape and cut out two sides for each foot. One for the side your foot will touch
and the other for the floor. If you sew the right sides together and leave a small opening on one side, you can flip them right side out. All the seams are tucked in now and you can stitch the opening shut. As you can see, the foot form shrinks a lot, so make sure to be generous with your sizing. That part is done. Now let's cut the sleeve off of the sweater. The cuff end of the sweater is going to be the top of the sock--no finishing that way.
The cut end of the sleeve is going to be the part that will get shaped around that sole portion. First, make a cut into the sleeve about the length of your hand (as shown). Right where my pinky is the part that will attach at the heel of the sole. This next part is a little funky. Turn the sleeve inside out. Draw a curved line opposite the one you just did. Sew along the line and trim the excess.

At this point, stretch the sock form over the sole to see how it looks. You may need to make a bigger seam on the curved section or cut a little more away at the heel section. (This is not a very exact science)
Once you get it the right size, pin the top portion to the bottom portion, right sides together.
My bottom section is a mock suede, and my the part the foot touches in a soft fleece.

Once you try it on, you may find that you need to make adjustments again. I needed to eliminate about an inch after the first fitting.
They sort of resemble ballet booties, since they are still sort of in a sleeve form.
Back view. Kind of cute, eh?
Done! What a quick thing to make!

Post a Comment