Thursday, December 31, 2009

Want to get organized for the New Year?

Every January, there is a huge surge in the organizing efforts around our home. The dust has settled, and the gifts are opened and need to be put away. And suddenly the house seems too small.

Maybe you are wondering what to do with all of your things also. So, it's time to start organizing again, room by room, section by section. Let's say you wanted to start with your bedroom. If you start with the goal of conquering one closet or one dresser a day, that is a reasonable way to start.

Just in case you have forgotten, let's review the basic procedure of organizing again... (yes, I need this as a review also) Incidentally, if you want a humorous version of the same idea, read this: I want to make my home "S.T.I.N.K."

This is a non-fancy (no acronym version) of the organizing principles.

1. Empty out the entire shelf/dresser/ closet that you are working with.

2. Decide how you want the area that you are organizing to function. Is this for frequently used items? Is this less-frequently used storage?

3. Sort the contents of your area into groups: keepers and non-keepers.

4. From the Keepers pile, decide if this is something you want in the area or some place else.

5. Designate boxes for "someplace else" and another box for "trash" and "donations".

6. Once you find which items you want to permanently store on the designated shelf/ dresser/ closet, find a way to label things so they can find their way back.

7. It may be a good idea to invest in some baskets, containers, or dividers to help things stay organized. Work with the space and the items until you get something that is not only functional but looks good also.

8. Take a picture of the finished product. Place the picture where you can refer to it as needed.

If you are a thinker, review the high brow thoughts about organizing and organizing principles.

If you want practical advice, anything from organizing spaces will be helpful also.


There's something so fulfilling about getting a space organized. I hope you will enjoy your January organizing adventures. I plan to tackle my dungeon this January. I'll work on it for a few days until we go to Chicago next week. I start in the dungeon because everything seems easier when I'm done with that space!

Happy and Safe New Year!



8 comments:

Braley Mama said...

HAPPY ORGANIZING!
AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

kristilea said...

Those are really good tips! I feel like I am constantly in a state of organization. Maybe it will always be that way, until the kids are out of the house...or maybe I'm just not any good at it!

Angie said...

thank you for this post. I'm going to remember your suggestions when I go to clean out my "junk" in the coming year.

MommaMindy said...

I think I would be a lot more organized if you just came and did it for me. I would work much better sitting in a chair with a latte watching you. When can you come? I can barely walk through the bedroom! Happy New Year!

Jackie said...

Happy New Year! Organizing is definitely topping the list for me this year. For the first time, we are in a house we are calling "home." No more rentals or short-term stints. Time for this place to function like no other abode has. And, as with all things organizing, I'm not sure where to start or how to turn chaos into order. You've kept me inspired this past year and I hope to lean on you a bit more this year. :) Oh and when will you be posting more videos? Hint, hint. I'd love to see more. Not just before and after, but maybe some process ones as well? Like...how do you take the playroom from disaster to peaceful without losing your mind in the process?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I knew you were my soul sister :0)

We're working on our "Equal Mass Law"... whatever came in at Christmas, an equal (or greater) mass must go out. The boys and I just finished putting away their gifts and have filled a laundry basket of things to go to the consignment store and Goodwill.

Next comes the kitchen...

Happy New Year!

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

Mommaminndy: Yes, I'd love to organize for you. It's called travel and distance and money.. Other than that, I'll be right over!

Kristilea: you've got it! We are always organizing. The process is what keeps it organized.

Angie: thanks!
Jackie: I've been thinking about that. I put a video together even, but I look so fat! My face is huge.Time to humble myself, I guess.

Julie: Soul sister, Amen!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I just reorganized half my pantry using almost exactly this method. --Great advice!