Sunday, January 17, 2010

Finally some holiday photos..

So some of you have been inquiring over the infamous snowman quilt mentioned here. I put the photos up on that post also. The little carrot noses and scarves are just pinned on. I'm using more of Mrs. Beck's seventh grade skirts for the scarves and earmuffs. You remember Mrs. Beck, don't you? She supplied a lot of the buttons for these projects. I told her today that I was continuing to use her stuff; she was elated. I thought I would make each one unique. So, we are still in the planning stages of this quilt.
I think one of the little guys should have a cane, and the other a violin.. perhaps a chain saw? (Starting to let my yooper roots come through again.. I need to control that!)
I don't want to needlessly embarrass my kids or anything. Take my photographer, Jo, for example. She was hiding these photos on her user. Isn't she darlin'??
O.K. in this one, she's all grown up. Same kid: two looks. Every morning when she wakes up, she needs to decide which era she wants to live in. Hmm.. let's see.. Is today the Edwardian era or the Wild West? Or, should we go for the Athena look? Like I've said before: there's never a dull moment around here.
So, I am finally posting the holiday photos. Like I said, my photographer was hiding them on me. And I didn't even think to ask for them! Since I was posing as a graduate student and then an organizing mommy, I forgot that I was a cutting-edge blogger...

So, here's my darling Mom. She and Emily were doing some holiday baking.

And then there's Nathanael, Dad (Grandpa Terry) and Jamie doing some holiday eating.
We did a fair amount of holiday eating, and my mother had no idea how fast a turkey and ham could go in a group our size. We are always posing new challenges for people who try to feed us.

And then people finally opened the gifts! Here are some of the homemade slipper creations. (Mrs. Beck's skirts.. again)


And this is as close to a holiday "uniform" as I could get this year. Snowman sweatshirts. I feel kind of guilty because we were so hot that it was tough to keep them on for any length of time.
Mom, sister in law, Kim, and I below..

PEARS!! Mom got me a few pears to add to my collection!! Thanks Mom!

This is my brother Tony and his wife, Kim. Mistletoe takes the form of clementines in the U.P. You can eat the evidence when you're done.

Tony is my only brother, and we had a roar of a time with him. My mother was hoping for a Christmas poem, but we both dropped the ball on that one. Rather than whip out a pencil, Tony said, "Hey, I've got one for you.."

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I am schitzophrenic
and so am I.

And that set me off for a good half hour until he said,

"Do you want to know the definition for ADHD?"
"Hey, what's that? Wanna go for a bike ride?"

(Yes, once I get laughing.. it's really hard for me to stop. And he knows it...)



Later that night, we had a very old time tradition ignited where we sit an watch old slides from an old slide projector. My brother ran the slide show from a projector that my Dad found at a garage sale for about $2.00. Here is one of the slides. I am the one on the left with that piteous hairdo clutching my brother with our two cousins on the right.


And it's always nice to know that your guests are enjoying the slide show. Note the looks of excited interest in my grandparents (below). (You can't see their feet, but I made them each a pair of slippers also.. just so you know that they are not frowning because their feet are cold)

I really think this photo deserves to be on one of those cards with a caption. "70 happy years and counting.." or "What's that smell?" and "I didn't do it.." "You sure did. I know that smell.."

Oh well, the whirling dervish will brighten up the air..
And then there's Will and I. I told him to wear that plaid shirt so he could match the couch.

Hey, you.. I want a kiss already.
Thanks, cutie pie. And look that those matching slippers!! Thanks Mrs. Beck.

And then there's my Dad, the mighty moose hunter. You can't see it, but his big RACK is sitting in front of the couch we're on and it's probably longer that the entire couch. Oh, there is a hint of a little antler sticking out. Speaking of the moose rack, I've made a decision. I would like to inherit one of those. I would like all of my grandchildren (someday) to have a place to hang their mittens when they come to visit. I'll assign each one a special place to hang something on, and if I have 22 grandchildren, every horn will be occupied. Now there's a goal.

You were just dying to know what I look like in my favorite jammies, eh?

So, that's it. Our great holidays. I had to get this in before tomorrow. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is a big day.. can you guess? That's right. I'm turning 39 (again!). I'll be posting more later.

7 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA HA HA! My dad got a moose in the Yukon one year and hung it in the family room, near the airtight stove - PERFECT for drying all our mittens, hats, gloves, socks, etc. I think it drove him nuts but he never complained :0)

And Happy Re-39th Birthday ;D

Julie

Sarah said...

Glad you had such a good family holiday.
Happy birthday tomorrow!
Sarah

Jenny said...

I LOVE your brother's "roses are red" poem. He must be a scream.

It would be fun to see the enormity of the moose antlers.

And I will join everyone else in wishing you Happy Birthday. Have a wonderful day and a blessed year!

sara said...

Cute photos! I really like the quilt. and you don't resemble a hedgehog at all - just sayin'.

Becky said...

We live too far south - you hang things on deer antlers around here - you just have to shoot several deer to get the same drying area.
BTW - Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

We sure had a good time. I notice that there were few photos of all the food we ate, the cans and cans of cookies we consumed, or the gallons of coffee we drank. The ha-has were the greatest. Your comments in the bathroom journal were a hoot! Perhaps we should add pictures there too? Thanks for being such a Holly-jolly-Jena.
Love, Mom

Deborah said...

I sat here giggling away over your photos and commentary. What a hoot! You will be able to look on fond memories of this past Christmas for sure!

Blessings!
Deborah