Monday, January 4, 2010

First day of class!!

So, here we are! It has been 19 years since I've sat in a real academic classroom at the college level. Oooooohhhh is it fun! I love teaching, but being a student is fabulous!! Oh, what a treat!

I remember when I was just wrapping up my undergraduate degree (19 years ago) and thinking "enough!" Too many classes, too much stress, and my brain is clogged. I need the Drano of life to unclog it. Learning needs time to process. So, I put my teaching degree to work.

I started having babies. I started a little school in my home. I played "teacher" for years. After I did that for a few years, I swung open the doors of my home and invited other people's kids in for "Write your Own Book" at Mrs. Webber's house. Pretty soon, I was teaching "Write your Own Book" and "Write with the Best" at Hallstrom homeschool workshops. My kids were growing up. My kids enjoyed learning, not just from me, but from all of the other beautifully, talented teachers at our academic co-op.

But there's always been this growing, nagging, "I want to learn" feeling in me. I want to learn.. more! But how can I go to school and bring up a big family and be a faithful wife.. etc. etc.? It was just never an occasion where I could sort it out.

Well, here I am at Moody. I am not taking this class for credit, since I am here as a guest. But no one is going to hold me back from learning all that I can. We are taking a class called "pastoral counseling". What could be more useful than counseling? The information is practical, academic and spiritual. All of my training has been in the secular realm. It's very hard to sort out all of the terms, theories, and practices from a Christian perspective. I'm finding the entire journey fascinating.

Can you tell I'm excited?

The teacher (Dr. Hopkins) asked us to call and ask people to pray for us this week. If you are reading this and know how to pray, would you mind asking the Lord for help for us? We would really like to learn and gain insight into all that God has in store for us. I would appreciate it greatly.

And, as far as I know, the kids are having a fabulous time in Wisconsin with their best friends. Thanks!

9 comments:

Braley Mama said...

I am praying that you will be open to learn all that the Lord wants you to glean from this class! For safety and protection from the enemy!
Praying that you will have wisdom and mercy during this time!

Becky said...

I'll be praying for you.

MommaMindy said...

I'm praying for your learning, and praying for the precious little one who was having a little of anxiety over you leaving. Someday, I would love our little girls to meet! Blessings to you, sister!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

How exciting!

I'm praying for you as I read - for wisdom and discernment and memory, (or is it just me who feels old?!)

Julie

Jenny said...

I am excited for you and will pray for you and your classmates.

I also miss learning and often say I would be a much better student now than when I was in college many moons ago.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'll be praying, too. Learn lots!

Ruby said...

I will also commit this to the Lord in prayer...and wow, good for you! Sometimes, even though we are constantly learning and using our heads it can feel like your grey matter has turned to mush. Many sleepless nights, baby talk, teenagers. It is great to hear you are game to take it on. Especially in this area which can serve the body of Christ.
May the Lord bless it!

Jenny P. said...

Joining you in prayer!

Angie said...

I'm a teacher too and would really love to home school my daughter when she's older. I love school as well. I've been thinking myself that I'd like to go take a class or two sometime. I miss writing reports and texbooks and studying...weird huh? I was never like that in high school!