Friday, January 29, 2010

Frugal Fashionista Friday II

This is combination craft/ frugal fashionista post.
Do you see this sweater? Well, it was a combination of two sweaters.

(I had a pic of each separately, and they vanished!!) So, one sweater was a purple (cotton blend) crewneck pullover. The multicolored one was a wool turtleneck. The green is fleece on sale from Joann's.
The most obvious question is: why would anyone want to take TWO sweaters and make them into ONE? Isn't that working backwards?? Well, not really. I have three reasons for doing what I did.

1. Both sweaters were too tight and small. I bought them both from thrift stores because I liked their colors, not because they fit so well.

2. Cardigans get worn a lot more often than pullovers. Zippered cardigans get worn outside. So, I knew I'd double my usage if I could make them into one sweater.

3. This project was "screaming" at me since the purples in both sweaters matched perfectly.


So, how did I do it? First I cut right through the center of the purple crewneck. I made plans to enlarge it and lengthen it. The zipper was from a different sweater I cut up for a pair of slippers for my dear old dad..
To a large extent, the length of the zipper determined the length of the sweater.
I tried my best to utilize obvious design details in the patterned sweater. This was probably the hardest part, since the entire thing had to look cohesive as well. The purple at the bottom of the sweater was from a finished edge (sleeve) on the patterned sweater, combined with part of the finished edge (bottom) of the same sweater. the lining is only attached at the top and zipper. I did not want the sleeves lined, and I did not want it attached to the bottom.
You can see how the lining is not attached to the bottom, but it serves the purpose of covering the many seams and adding warmth the sweater. I don't like bulky sleeves, so it was a preference of mine not to line the sleeves.
The hood.

The hood was essentially a design decision, but it is a useful feature. And there was enough for the "matching mittens"--of course.. we need matching mittens!

As you can see, I love wearing it. This was my actual birthday, and my dear hubby brought a cake to Hallstrom and had the kids in the gavel club sing/ eat cake with me.. Here he is--singing away..
What a sweetie!

The rest of these bargains were just "regular" purchases from a thrift store. Each thing was about $2.00 or $3.00 a piece.


The suede-looking coral top below has just beautiful lines.
The lower sweater is 100% cashmere.
The black wool sweater is my latest favorite
The details are very pretty, and it's 100% wool, which you know, scores high in my book.

Frugal and fashion together--oooh what a fun thing. For more of these, check out: Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

19 comments:

Scottish Twins said...

Wow! Great job.

I also love the purple sweater with the three buttons.

Kathryn said...

You did a fantastic job! It looks great.

Wish i could wear wool. One of the things i can never do.

Natalie said...

very impressed! thanks for giving me inspiration to redesign my thrifted treasures.

Songbirdtiff said...

I love what you did with the first sweater. So cozy!

Jen@balancing beauty and bedlam said...

NO WAY! I can NOT believe you made that by putting those together. LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing it with my readers.

Mrs. Parunak said...

You are brilliant. I am in awe. Truly. That sweater you made is gorgeous.

Organizing Mommy said...

Thanks so much everybody! I wish I had a BETTER tutorial. The next time I get two sweaters that I like together, I will make an actual tutorial,OK?? It wasn't that hard.

a King's daughter said...

The purple three button is my favorite, also! Love it!!!

Deborah said...

Amazing! The great finds and the sweater -- ohh the sweater. I wouldn't have the first clue how to do what you did! It looks wonderful!

Blessings!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oooooo, I'm in love with the sweater you've made... all the colors sing to me :0)

When I looked at the first picture - of the finished product - I thought it was made that way originally - looks fantastic.

Julie

Heather said...

I love your creativity!

Braley Mama said...

You are amazing!!!

MommaMindy said...

So, being the lazy woman that I am, my first thought was, "Hey, next time buy two sweaters that fit!" My mending pile is too high now to consider being crafty, maybe that is what is clouding my vision. :) BUt, sigh, you are amazing, and you are like the energizer bunny. OK. Fresh inspiration, you come visit me and take on my mending pile! Then, I'll take you to the Space Needle for coffee and we both will have blodding fodder for weeks.

Abbie said...

Amazing! I LOVE how you made two into one just because you loved them! Excellent job - a new way for repurposing that I'm filing away. Thanks!

Rachel Boldman said...

Making two sweaters into one? Such a good idea, and it looks great! You are so crafty.

sara said...

I vote yes for the tutorial. This is a wonderful project.

Joanna said...

O.K. Now I HAVE to go the thrift store again.. looking for two sweaters... Anybody want me to experiment with something they already own? (and you get the final product??)

Organizing Mommy said...

OK that was me!

"forkbut" on the word verification..

what's wrong with that?

singtothelord2 said...

you are so creative...I'm jealous... they look great! I'm still working on slippers and mittens....gotta get some supplied though.