Monday, January 25, 2010

Introducing the THUMBLE

It's time for a basic low-key post. After all of the ramblings about raising teenagers and the comments therein, I think I now officially know how to increase my traffic--talk about teenagers! Everyone has (good) opinions. They are worth reading. In the meantime, life is back to normal on the ranch.

My butt-kicker has been getting me to work on the quilt again. She's such a tyrant. So, I thought I would try hand stitching. For the record, this is probably going to be my last quilt for a while. I got part of my hand cut by a pin, and the first needle I chose broke on me. And I couldn't find a decent thimble, or any thimble for that matter. So, I started foraging around my craft room, and I found this: A THUMBLE!

It's really the top of a dried out glue stick, and it fits on my thumb just fine. Since I do not plan to quilt for 39 more years, I think this will suffice for a thimble. Oh, and (for Sara) note: the hedgehog was posing for this pictures this morning. Do you like the paatooinngg in the back?
So, one little critter is finished. And that snow swirl thing on the side? yeah. I hand stitched that. really. with my thumble, even.
Meet Harold, the first of 8 great seniori-ctizen -looking snowmen to adorn my wall.
He prefers Freedent. (Oh, you are too young for that, are you?)

Makes my home sing at Moms the Word for other forms of greatness.

11 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA HA HA HA HA!

A senior-citizen snowman... I guess the hat does contribute to that. Reminds me of my grandpa.

And I love the swirly hand-stitching.

And the thumble. Which rhymes with fumble and bumble, and make me feel right at home :0)

Julie

sara said...

too. Many. WOrds. MIGht. EXPLODE!

LOL! Really. You're a little crazy, ya know that? In an absolutely wonderful way.

I think the way to increase traffic is to tell embarrassing stories about yourself. Go ahead - we're laughing WITH you. :)

Patoing? GREAT sound effect. I could hear it.

About the quilt: the hand stitching looks very good, my two-year-old's name is Harold (Harry), he is too young for Freedent, but I'm not. Don't give up on quilting - you got skilz.

Did you know that I am going to be 39 (for real!) in about two months?

MommaMindy said...

That quilt is so cute. I'm glad you are finally finishing it. I don't quilt, I just collect fabric. I have to be honest. That's how life ended up. I saw a wall hanging that said something like, "She who dies with the most fabric wins."

kristilea said...

It looks wonderful!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I agree with Sara. With a quilt that cute, why would you quit??? It looks awesome. I love the swirly stitching.

momstheword said...

Oh very cute! I love snowmen (and women, lol!). Very creative way to protect your thumb too! Happy quilting and thanks for linking up!

Erin said...

Necessity really is the mother of invention! Nice thumble!

Braley Mama said...

Looks great! Your hair looks like mine:)I think I need a great name like the Hedghog for my hair too:)lol!

Becky said...

The quilt is adorable. I'm glad Emily bullied you into finishing it. I wish I could do things like that - I wouldn't even think to put things together like that. I think in even (as in perfectly symetrical) patterns. It took me years to hang pictures on the wall in anything but a mirror image pattern - then we moved, my courage failed me, and the walls are practically bare. I could say that I'm enjoying a minimalistic approach to decorating - it's clean and uncluttered - BUT, I just can't do that with a strait face.
BTW-does knowing what Freedent is put me in the "old" category - because if it does, I don't have a clue!

Organizing Mommy said...

Oh Becky, I know your singing the Freedent song

Feel free to chew Freedent... Freedent gum!

Mrs. Parunak and Sara: I'm not giving up on sewing--just quilting. And that may only last a few months.

Becky said...

You're right...I'm having flash-backs of the commercials.