Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January brings out the exercise in everyone!

So I've added not one but TWO pilates classes to my teaching schedule in this season of life. I'm feeling the need for extra motivation in my workouts. Do you guys get that way?

At first, exercising is so much fun, and then less so, and then not so much.. So, I need to evaluate my reasons for exercising. If it's all about feeling good, that reason won't cut it when I actually am not feeling good. For the most part, exercise does make me feel good and produces the correct amount of happy pills (endorphins) in me. But other times, I feel like I have to drag myself there, and it's just plain hard work. Then, my motivation needs to be about health and commitment to healthy practices rather than a bunch of sloshy emotions.

So, I added one pilates class at Hamilton Sundstrand for a donation only fee. It is a 10 week session, and today was the first day. It went really well. I'm excited about teaching a new group of "students". Sometimes just having a group of enthusiastic people to teach gives me just the motivation I need to work hard. I want to be a good example for them and try my hardest.

The other new class starts tomorrow at the Y. An aerobics teacher and I are teaming up for a class. It should be fun: 45 minutes cardio and 45 minutes pilates. And yes, I am excited about teaching in new environments and new people. I can do cardio if someone else is pushing me to do it. I have a hard time getting it done on my own.

So, what are you guys doing to bump up the exercise for January? Is it working so far? Are any of you exercise teachers? Do you use a video at home? or go to the gym? How many hours/ days do you get to work out?

8 comments:

The Boojes said...

We've joined our local Y, which is a recplex cooperative with the city, and it's great! =) I also got the "10 Minute Solutions- Blast Belly Fat" recently (as in, within the past few days) and am starting to do one segment of that on the days I don't go to the Y. It's not much, but I'm aiming to strengthen my core little by little!! =)

MommaMindy said...

I walked to the kitchen to get a snack, then I skipped back to my bedroom so the kids wouldn't see me eating too many cookies. Then, I ran out into the living room to break up a loud argument, then I hopped back into the bedroom to eat my cookies without getting caught. Does that count? :) Seriously, we are thinking of going the video route, the Y and other things are way to expensive on the coast. Any suggestions?

Becky said...

I've begun to use the Wii that hubby and I got the girls for Christmas. Does that count? I sure hope so!

Tiffany said...

I run. I hate it, it is torture, but I love what it does for my body. I refuse to run outside in the cold winter months, so I run on my treadmill. Running has been one of the best disciplines for me. It has been a really great time for me to think, reflect, pray and memorize scripture. And while I hate doing it, I love the feeling afterward. I will run as long as my body can take it.

Moderate Means said...

I've been trying to get on the treadmill and/or Nordic Track every day. I am not a fan of exercise but I'm tired of being fat...so exercise it is :)

Personally, I like MommaMindy's approach!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I go to Curves--and love it. I also try to get in as many rounds as possible with my fabulous exercise DVD from BJU, featuring women wearing actual clothes instead of brightly colored underwear. And the early 90's hair and make-up is always good for a chuckle, too!

kristilea said...

With having a 9,6,5 & 2 year old at home all day, I have to work out at home. I have an eliptical, and a bowflex, but my favorite is still my walking videos. I have Leslie Sansone's Walking Away The Pounds videos and I love them. My favorite is her "Getting Fit With Faith" DVD. It's so uplifting, and gives a good calorie burn without being to difficult. It's 2 miles in 30 minutes and it fits into my schedule well! I've also started doing the Wii fit to help keep me motivated.

I'm so tired of being heavy, but it's hard to muster up the energy to workout (and I know the lack of energy is from being heavy) it's a vicious cycle. I miss being able to run 3 miles every day. I miss being a very physically fit person, so I'm hoping God will help me to loose the weight, eat healthy and be fit again!

Deborah said...

I'm not doing so well, even though it is on my list of goals. I've walked all of three times since January first. Twice outside in the snow, and once to a DVD. I love the DVD short, not too strenuous, but I still work up a little perspiration. This week I will do better! (I hope :oS)!!

Blessings!
Deborah