Monday, January 18, 2010

One Year AGO..

Last year around this time, my good friend, Kathy and her family came to visit. Somehow the dads and kids managed to throw a surprise birthday party for my 40th. Kathy and I went for lunch and shopping and came back for the big event. It was so special that I thought I would link back to it. My family is awesome!! This year, I expect that the birthday will be very low key--no parties, no out of town guests, probably no cake. After all, who does all that for 41?? But I am content all the same. But I have been thinking about what a wonderful year this has been. What a blessing it has been to be 40!! Just that little bit of extra amount of living time has provided a huge appreciation for some things, which I expect, in time, will only get better and richer as I get older.

Things that I have come to appreciate this year:

1) Simplicity. I know everyone says that simple is better, but I think I am starting to get it. If you go back to the video where I am walking through the door, and they are saying, "Surprise", you will notice a huge bag from some shopping adventures. Traditionally, I would use the extra birthday cash that I would get and go shopping for something during the winter sales. Not that it is wrong to do that. It's actually the best time to do retail shopping. But this year, I am not going to indulge in retail shopping for my birthday--probably the first time... ever? I have just decided that enough is enough. I don't need anything, and I am content.

2) Bible memory. I have almost completed Psalm 34, and I would like to continue memorizing this year.

3) Trust. There is more uncertainty in our country than ever before, and yet I continue to trust in the Lord. I want to do this more and more, with less worry and more productive praying/ trusting.

4)Invest. Not money, but time. Money is so much of this earth, and we really don't have much of it. But TIME everyone has, and I think I've been too stingy with it. Time is precious but not that precious that we can't give some of it away.

5) Rejoice. I love to laugh, but am I really rejoicing? I think I have started to rejoice on occasion. But there's so much room for improvement. To get God's perspective on things and to glory in it. It's all very beautiful, you know.

So, that's my little starter list. I hope that a year from now, I will have doubled the blessings of these ideas and grown from them.

12 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

A very happy birthday, O.M.! I love all your thoughts on the things you've come to appreciate this year. I was especially encouraged about the time one.

Braley Mama said...

Thanks for sharing your wisdom! Have a beautiful birthday my blog friend:)
May God continue to bless you this year, so that you may share your time:)

Ruby said...

A very happy birthday to you! May God bless you in the coming year. I loved looking at your post from your 49th and especially hearing the voices!
Such wisdom you are growiong in, too.

Ruby said...

Ooops typo ~ 40th!

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it is delightful & fun.

A year ago today i began my blog. ;)

sara said...

Happy birthday you wonderful person, you.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Happy Birthday! Love your list :0)

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

Thanks for letting me indulge in my birthday fun. My readers are so patient. Ruby, I sometimes feel 49, but most of the time, I feel 29. The average is 39, so that's OK--still two years younger than reality..

Thanks to everyone. It feels like a party.

Mrs. Santos said...

Happy Happy Birthday! You are an encouragement to so many.

Deborah said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! May you have a wonderful day and a blessed year. Your list is inspiring.

Blessings!
Deborah

Eos Mom said...

Happy Birthday!

L2L said...

Love it, and Happy Birthday my sweet blogger friend!!