Wednesday, January 27, 2010

She came back!!

Even I am surprised at this one. Remember last week, when I so adeptly inserted my foot in my mouth by calling a new pilates student weak and skinny?

Well, she came back!! She was in the front row, even. Thank you, Lord. She was working so hard!! I found out that she's a 21 year old co-op. She's probably used to corporate abuse and being pushed around. Still... I don't like to be rude! I told her that I prefer wearing peppermint socks, since I have to stick them in my mouth so much!

And here's something else that happened today. It's somewhat noteworthy.

So, I'm in the thrift store called "Share Stuff" (For the Rockford locals, they are having a 30% off sale on ALL clothing, and if you spend $25.00, you get a $10.00 gift card!).

Anyway, I was in the Share Stuff thrift store, and I decided to look in the men's department for some pants for my husband. They always label the waist size "34" but you have to hunt to find the length. A woman was looking in the 34's also, and she told me she was looking for jeans.

Me: "Oh, I always end up buying my husband jeans in the retail store"

her: "Oh, where's that?"

Me: (trying to be gracious) "The retail store? You know, any store that is not a thrift store is a retail store.."

her: "So, where is it? I mean, I'm new to this area and all"

Me: (perplexed/ embarrassed) "Well, you could find a lot of retail stores at the Cherry Vale mall, I suppose..like Eddie Bauer, for example..." (I'm really not sure where to go with this conversation..)

her: "Oh you mean a REGULAR store!"

Me: "that's right. Regular." duh.

At that moment I had this strange thought. Does everybody call retail stores "regular" stores? Am I the only one living in this town who uses words like "retail"?? Perhaps all of my blog readers are scratching their heads right now in perplexation wondering why I have such an odd vocabulary! In fact, you were just waiting for someone to straighten me out.

It's probably going to take more than just one adjustment to totally straighten me out, but I think we're heading in the right direction. just saying. retail. harrmph...

13 comments:

marineswife said...

Oh I'm laughing so hard!!

I call it retail, or a just a store, or department type store.

Braley Mama said...

Holy cow! That is so funny!I seam to always have these comversations.......like when I say blouse, fondly, or pine after:)
Was this a younger lady?
You are not odd. She just might not be schooled in this area of life:)

Braley Mama said...

sp * seem

sara said...

Why would someone not know what a retail store is? I hope she wasn't home schooled.

Organizing Mommy said...

She was way too old to be homeschooled. She looked "normal" or should I say "regular"??? There are just people out there who get all of their vocabulary skills from that funny little talking box, I guess.

sara said...

Talking box... OH! I think I saw one of those once.

Around here it is totally average to think in terms of retail, wholesale, consignment and thrift stores.

Sarah said...

I'm so glad she came back!

sara said...

Off topic: Have I been sleeping or has it been awhile since you blogged a blitz? Don't make me get Emily after you. :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

Yay! I'm so glad that your story has a happy ending!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, I'm glad she came back... you'll have to try harder to scare her off ;D

Patricia said...

i call it "retail" too...
so glad she came back to class...
i, too frequently put my foot in my mouth.
incidentally i actually did see peppermint (scented) socks at Sam's Club just before Christmas.
luv your blog!
:)

Deborah said...

I'm so glad she came back to your class! I would have called it a retail store too :o).

Blessings!
Deborah

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

lol..i knew what you meant!