Monday, January 11, 2010

Those awesome lists...

For Christmas, my husband bought me a planner. I got to choose the color between something boring and lime green.

So, I'm sitting here with my lime green planner in hand, and I made a list of everything that I wanted to get done today. I asked the Lord for guidance as to what I should do first.

Here were the random things on the list:

Make verse practice sheet
clean craft room
hang labels in dungeon
print off things for study skills class
coordinate test for Algebra 1/2 with boys
call Mr. Asher for cello replacement/ repair
Iron
make bread
teach Emily one hour school
study SBC (bible study)

After I did that, I put numbers next to each of the items. At 3:37 p.m., do you want to know what's done for today?

1. Made a practice sheet for my memory verses. I have the entire chapter of Psalm 34 as my memory goal. On the sheet is the first 2-3 words of each verse with lines to write the rest of it.

2. Made bread. (the kids helped)

3. Ate breakfast/ cleaned up room/ got dressed (not on list) and did school with Emily

4. Called Tom and coordinated for the kids to run the cello errand.

5. Got together with the boys to figure out their Algebra 1/2 tests.

6. Cleaned up craft room.

7. Printed off study skills materials for tomorrow's class.

So, what's left? The labels, SBC, and ironing. But I'm tired and hungry. So, they'll have to wait.
All this to say that it feels good to put the Lord first, the household/ kids second and the blogging third. Yes, we CAN have joy and peace and order in our lives if we submit our desires to Him.

Emily said to me, "Let's sing a joyful working song today, Mommy," and she proceeded to sing

(to the tune of old time religion)

I've got joy in the morning
I've got joy in the evening
I've got joy in the noontime.. and that's good enough for me..

I've got joy (rest) WOOO!
I've got joy Wooo!
I've got joy Woo!... it's good enough for me..

And if you want to try this at home, make sure to throw your hands into the air when you say, "Woooo!"

(No, I don't give her coffee... she's just too much like me)

So, let's have JOY in our little lists and submit our desires to him!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

You're on a roll! That's great! I work so much better off of a to-do list!

Braley Mama said...

Yay! Good work mama!

He & Me + 3 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment. I love to meet new bloggy friends. I hope you come back by again sometime.
Love the song she made up...too cute.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I love lists, too! I tend to use a schedule more these days, but barreling through a good list is so satisfying!

I love Emily's song and her cheerful attitude!

Becky said...

Oh, I like that little ditty. I'll have to teach it to my kids. But, they may end up liking it about as much as they "liked" the way I used to go into their rooms in the morning singing...Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory...
Oh - and I got everything done on my list today too - WOOOO!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

True confession:

I will write things on my list that I couldn't possibly forget to do...

just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing them off.

Organizing Mommy said...

Juli--Amen! A true sign of a list addict.

Organizing Mommy said...

Becky: we have a video of Emily singing her "joy" song in the car.. it is hilarious.. now to see how to upload that thing..