Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What about us normal women?

An actual comment from a reader:

"You are awesome, but much too scary for me. Organizing, teaching pilates, 5 kids, homeschooling? Are you kidding? I'm tired just reading your blog. Seriously, what about us normal women or those stuck in a rut?"

My response: Well, I'm tired just living my life too. Let's all just go take a nap, OK?


Well, let's just get one thing straight here. I did not write this blog to spread my awesomeness around the internet, since there really is nothing to spread around. If I have portrayed that image (the unattainable, perfect image) then I'm doing something wrong, or you haven't read long or hard enough yet.

One thing is for sure. I do not organize, teach pilates, homeschool or anything all on the same day. Hardly a day goes by where I do not need a nap. I seriously wear myself out. But I do have five kids every day, and they can wear me out also.

Organizing: I organize on my stay-at-home days. Generally, I try to get organized for all of the craziness that goes on during the non-stay-at-home days. On a home day, I might: clean, organize, menu plan, cook, or ?? whatever you do when you are home.

Teaching pilates: This is probably the easiest thing I do. I just show up in my workout gear and teach class. They are all adults, and we have fun together. I only teach 3 classes a week, and two of them are on Wednesdays. (Woo Hoo for Wednesdays)

Homeschooling: This is the second easiest thing I do, since I hire this out. I used to teach all of the kids (at the same time). That is stressful and fun, but now I just work with my preschooler a little here and there. The other four kids are taking classes one day a week, and I just supervise/ threaten/ coerce/ etc. Oh, and I'm working on a transcript for our oldest child who is "aiming high" towards a military academy.

Five kids: This isn't such a big deal, except they EAT a lot. It's nothing to spend $200.00 a week on groceries, and that is with many beans and rice meals, homemade bread etc. I end up having to be more purposeful about dinner, since my kids are too busy to eat during robotics season. Joanna is the captain of the robotics team, Jamie is the head designer, and Will is a mentor. If I survive the next six weeks, we'll be back to eating together as a family again...

So, what IS normal anyway? Normal is just doing what needs to be done and working hard doing it. Normal is just not complaining and trying to have a joyful attitude even when things are a little crazy. And I know you guys do that.

In fact, I know people who 1. do a better job with 2. more kids and 3. less resources than we have. So, we really are nothing special. Hurrah for you guys! For all of the "normal" people out there: hurrah for you too! I'm right in there with you.

10 comments:

Scottish Twins said...

I hadn't yet seen that you teach pilates. Do you teach mat or the machines or both? I took a class in college on the machines (we were required as dancers) and it KICKED MY REAR END. That stuff is hard core. You must be really strong :)

Braley Mama said...

If you do anything extra-ordinary it is being so sweet:)
That's because of Him:)
Great post mama!

Tiffany said...

Great post! God certainly gives us each the mercy and grace to live out what He has blessed us with!

Organizing Mommy said...

Scottish Twins: Ha! I was a dancer in college too, but pilates was "public" in those days. I say pilates is what dancers do when they "grow up". I teach mat/ standing pilates in a group setting. The training is very expensive, but the training for the machines (reformer/ cadillac/ wunda chair etc.) is VERY expensive. I would have to be a career teacher to justify that expense. I am trying to get strong!

Mrs. Parunak said...

LOL! Well, I'm glad someone said it. You really are amazing!

sara said...

Now, not to take away from anything you do, but I have noticed that you have your plodding days just like the rest of us. And that makes your extroverted, energetic blitzing entirely real and attainable.

I have never gotten the idea that your life is perfect or that you try to pretend that you are perfect. I do get the impression that you rely on the Lord for strength and that you strive for excellence. If you have a bit more energy than I generally do well, the Lord has gifted us all differently. I love learning from you and sharing with you because we are part of the same Body.

Also, as a stay-at-home mother myself, what are we to do at home if not be productive and nurture our children? I imagine that we want to AT LEAST put in as much effort as we would at a paid career. Of course that's overly simplistic because this is a life and a lifestyle and not a "job" and it is in fact worth so much more.

Perhaps managing a home well is outside the norm, insofar as few women even try to acquire the skills to do it, but mediocrity is overrated anyhow.

Of course if anyone doubts it, let me say in so many words: it is not easy, but you can do it too - if you want to.

Scottish Twins said...

I've heard the training is not only expensive, but intense. You have to log a lot of hours to get certified!

Now the similarities are just getting creepy. lol

What type of dance did you do?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'm with Sara.

I don't feel overwhelmed by your awesomeness. (/sarcasm) ;D

But I would love to have you for a neighbor.

Julie

Becky said...

You're not awesome? I thought we all were.:D Awesomely tired - all the time. I KNOW I am. And I don't know a single homeschool mom that "does it all"...every single one of them delegates. Here again, I know I do.
Mom's everywhere, homeschoolers or not, do the same things...clean, take care of the kids, feed people, do the laundry, etc. We just all do things a little differently.

L2L said...

ha ha ha!!! you know I read a quote once that we spend so much time seeking the "Ultimate Life" that we don't even take time to enjoy the one we already have. I am thankful for growing older as you really do see things for what they are and how so much really doesn't matter!!! FYI, I read your blog for pure enjoyment, so no pressure to be Polly Perfect :)