Saturday, January 16, 2010

Who kicks a butt-kicker?



Just in case any of you wondered if any of our children have had a normal upbringing, the following will confirm all suspicions to the contrary.

My older kids had a slightly normal mother until the organizing gene started working (around age 27). Every year, it has doubled or tripled in intensity, depending on the other factors at work. Poor Emily came on to the scene five years ago without ever having seen anything else. There are therapy groups for these kinds of children, but she is probably too young to join..

But I digress.. So, yesterday I was feeling a little down. I had a headache and everything on my list involved thinking: "write New Year's letter" and "sort through this paper pile" or "clean out Hallstrom bag". Even ironing was looking more palatable. So, I went downstairs into the craft room and made the wise decision to fold all of the ironing into a laundry basket and put it out of sight. There! Now, that's not tempting me anymore. What next? I started rifling through some unfinished craft projects and I grabbed the infamous unfinished snowman quilt.

As if in a ritual duty, I take out the snowmen every year in January and look at them. I think I started this quilt in 2001? So, it's only been nine years or so.. All the little snowmen look so pitiful and separate. As far as I can tell, Emily hasn't seen or doesn't remember seeing these pathetic little creatures.

"Mommy! Those snowmen are great!"

Me: "No, they aren't."

Emily: "You can sew those together. Just sew here, here and here, and they'll all be put together. It will just take a short time.."

Me: "Yeah, but I'm not sure I want to work on this now.."

Emily: " Oh, come on, Mommy! You sew fast, and it will be done very soon. And it will look so great... I'll help you lay them out.."

Me: "O.K. then.."

And I did it. I still can't believe I did it. That crazy five year old organizing mommy clone made me do it! And it is, no kidding, already pieced together and ready to be embellished and quilted.

So, now you know my weakness. The world knows. Emily can make me do anything. Guilty as charged. And if you are considering having a baby later in life, don't do it. You are all mush and putty in their hands. It's quite a terrifying miracle, especially when the child is a clone of you and has not only you, but her daddy wrapped around her finger as well. Thankfully, she has an older sister and three brothers who stand as the voice of reason in her life. Most of all, I am thankful for the Lord who knows all of our weaknesses and uses the weak things of this world to confound the wise.

If you are having trouble finishing a project, may I send over my butt-kicker? She gets the job done!

12 comments:

sara said...

This made me smile. Emily sounds like a dynamo - and a sweet blessing.

I'd love to see some pictures of your snowman work in progress if you get a chance.

Becky said...

I love it. She's such a little cutie. I think it has something to do with the youngest. I'm way mushier with my youngest too. Of course, it doesn't help that she had older sisters that thought she was their own personal baby. I have to admit that I'm much less of a push over than they were - so much so, that at one point, any time she wanted anything, she ran to them first because they were much more apt to tell her yes!

Joyful said...

Such a cute story. It sounds like she is a precious little girl, come to bless you in later life :-)

Ruby said...

Ah, that's what I need then! Seems these tail ender boys I have make all the work around here.
I would love to see the snowmen quilt too. It is very hot here just now and that would be very soothing.
Good for you Emily!

Jenny said...

You certainly know her better than I, but this story screams that your baby girl has the gift of encouragement. I know you appreciate having a good dose of her each day. Congratulations on getting your quilt put together. Doesn't it feel amazing?

Deborah said...

Okay, feeling guilty. I'm off to sew right now. Thank you to Emily for her butt-kick :o)!

Blessings!
Deborah

Braley Mama said...

That made me teary:) in a good way. She sounds like such a little encourager. She was edifying her mommy. Good job, you are raising her right!

Cassie said...

Love this post. You are so funny. Sometimes thinking about doing something is a lot harder that actually doing it.

Organizing Mommy said...

OK the photos are up.. Sorry I couldn't get them up sooner!

MommaMindy said...

Our little girls just HAVE to meet! Whenever I read about Emily she reminds me of Rebekah. So, when ARE you coming out to Seattle? I think it's your turn to visit us. :)

Ruby said...

It looks great, too.

Mrs. Parunak said...

That's great! Our children frequently inspire me, too. And congratulations on making progress on an old project.