Friday, February 19, 2010

My mess is a desk..

I just got off the phone with my dear hubby. I could tell he was overwhelmed and hungry. I can't do much about the hungry part, since he's at work. But I could make him smile a little and encourage him to eat. (The men in this family need to be told to eat. It's a strange situation, but that's what we do here)

Anyway, I asked him, "So, what seems to be the main problem?"

He said, "My mess is a desk!" knowing that it would get me laughing.

And I said, "Oh yeah? Well, my mess is a house!"

So, we chuckled at our mutual state of overwhelm. I'm so glad that neither of us finds it our role in this life to "exhort" each other about this kind of stuff. Consequences are all either of us needs to get moving.

I told him I had two goals for today: get the laundry done and make dinner. What are the chances of these getting done?

And he said, "Are you going to the robotics open house tonight at 6:30? and Did you know you are signed up to make lunch for the robotics team tomorrow?"

On second thought, maybe I should just not make dinner. No! I think I'll make it on principle. A family needs dinner, even if it's 8:30 or 9:00 p.m.--which has been the dinner hour for most of the robotics season.

And then he adds, "I wasn't really sure which of the piles of laundry on the floor of the bedroom were clean.."

I say, "That should be worked out by tonight, or I could go out and buy even MORE underwear.."

So, that's the state of things here. The good news is that we have already:

blitzed the livingroom, part of the kitchen, and put two loads in the washer. The moose roast is out of the freezer, ready to go into the crockpot for our midnight family meal, and I'm even dressed! So, I'll eat a little lunch and keep the laundry going. The robotics team will have to have Mostaccoli from Logli, though.

What about you guys? Anybody else ready to sandblast the house rather than clean it again?

Oh, but it looks so nice when you're done. One more time.. One more time for Jesus.

10 comments:

Braley Mama said...

I know what you mean, I just cleaned the house 2 days ago and it looks like a moose ran thru it:) Speaking of moose, I have never tried the meat. Did you all hunt it? Or can you get that at the store?

Ruby said...

Rain, rain, rain here. Everything is soggy and the place is a mess. Mind it is Saturday AM and I am planning a blast through now.
I just had to comment on the men being told to eat??? Has never happened in my lifetime! Not with Dad, husband, brothers, sons- nope - no male I know. All self motivatted eaters. I am thinking you jest!

Becky said...

Yes!! But there is light at the end of the tunnel. My oldest two are now old enough to actually do something, completely on their own, if they happen to enter a messy room. You know, as opposed to stepping on, over, or around a mess, or waiting to be told to clean it up. All those years, coming together...finely.

Cassie said...

You are so funny and cute. I love your post. Makes me smile.

Organizing Mommy said...

Ruby,

Telling the men in my life to eat.. It's an odd thing, I assure you. Thankfully, it is just my husband and oldest son. The other two boys eat fine on their own. I'm not really sure how to describe it. My husband would starve to death if I kicked the bucket. Just so you know, in case, for example, I kicked the "bucket"..

Jenny P. said...

My husband forgets to eat too! So does his father! And then, they get so unbearably crabby and refuse to eat... it's a vicious cycle. Our house is a disaster right now too and I don't have nearly as good an excuse as several kids on a robotic team. I can't wait for spring so I can open the windows and be motivated.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Did you ever see the movie Apollo 13? Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) and his wife have just had a big party at their house, watching Apollo 11 land on the moon. The guests leave and the two of them wander into the back yard and snuggle on the patio furniture.

She comments, in an exhausted voice, on the mess left behind in the house, and offers the perfect solution:

"Maybe we should move."

I've had that thought myself...

My mess is a house. Perfect!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

And yes... us on the road... The Amazing Blitzing Hedgehog of Pilates, and her side-kick, Unruly Julie.

Ruby said...

Love it girls. You'll be a sellout!

Wondering what you will do for inspiration when the kids are up and gone?

Mrs. Parunak said...

Yay! So encouraging to know that others are blazing joyfully through the craziness.