Sunday, February 7, 2010

The wheels are turning..

I woke up this morning full of anatomical terminology swimming in my head and crashing in the waves of application.

"erector spinnae" "psoas" "cuel" were calling out my names, and then I was trying desperately to remember not only where the muscle was but what is needed to activate it, or stretch it or relax it.. What to "fire up" or not to and when...

It was only 6:00 a.m. and I could (almost) hear the sound of the fan going on from the "hard drive" spinning. Only the hard drive was my mind, and the fan was just leftover caffeine from the day before.

My muscles were twitching--not from overuse--just because they were trying to findItalic themselves in my mind.

I had this wonderful feeling that I had done something. something great. I had learned so much of the beautiful human body that God has created. I have learned that there is so many ways to really help people just by applying principles of exercise in the right way, and NOW I think I understand it. (a little)

And just like my counseling class was a big gestalt, for me personally, of putting the theories of biblical principles and how the mind works together into a workable form, the principles of this pilates training put anatomical philosophy and practical exercises together in that same level of usefulness.

So, if January was my month for learning about counseling, and February for taking on anatomy, what will March hold? Let's see. The inner self, check. The body, check.

I say this tongue and cheek, but on some days it would be easier to be schizophrenic.

"Today I'm going to be... counselor" or "Today I think I'll be a blitzing homemaker.."
"Today I'd like to be a creative person.." or "How about an exercising teacher?" "do I hear standup comic?"

I'm not trying to boast, so please understand. I'm not focused, and I like so many things. The only thing I focus on is the thing I'm working on at the time. When I'm done, I move on. And I wonder, what is the LORD doing here? Is there going to be a phase of my life where I take one of these passions forward a little more than one of them? Is something going to become a little more center-stage as I move into my empty nest years? (Obviously, right now is not the time)

Will I continue to be A.D.D. about "life"? As much as I like it, since everything is still a "hobby" rather than much of a "job", I still wonder how easy it appears for some people to "specialize" so naturally. While I probably won't know the answers to these questions for a while, and I don't expect any of my readers to have any great suggestions, I do wonder these things.

And I wonder how I am going to unearth a path from the side of my bed to the bathroom, since everything I wore this weekend went into a pile. The laundry needs to be done, and there's a layer of grunge on everything. (And yes, we had guests for lunch, today) I know. I know.. I'm a glutton for humbling experiences. I managed to blitz on a Sunday morning to literally "sanitize" the kitchen. Thankfully I had a meal made and frozen that went directly into the crockpot. So this is what makes my home sing. My craziness. My thinking outloud on the computer for the whole cotton-pickin world to see. And that's just the way it is.

11 comments:

Lawgirl said...

You hit the nail on the head. There are so many things I want to do. I want to learn a million different things and I keep thinking, there is not enough time. So maybe I'll only accomplish so much in this life and leave the rest for the next one. :D

Scottish Twins said...

You and me both. I feel all over the place most days - like I have 5 projects happening at once. Sometimes I drive myself crazy with the ADD and sometimes I am content with it, because it keeps me from being bored and not having anything to do :)

momstheword said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord made us? Men tend to compartmentalize everything, and women just tend to multi-task and have lots going at once.

My hubby teases me about "being on a kick." I will just all of a sudden really get "into" something and read all I can on it, or get totally into it. Then I'm on to something else.

Like when I'm into freezer cooking I'll get tons of books, etc. If it exercise I am reading health books, etc.

My hubby has always been amazed at my "ability" to watch t.v. and read a book at the same time, lol!

Thanks for linking up today!

Erin said...

Imagine how sad life would be if we weren't constantly challenging ourselves to learn new things, to stretch beyond our current capabilities? I'd much rather have too much that stirs my imagination than not enough.

Becky said...

They say that learning new things keeps the mind active and alert. A.D.D. must certainly help with this, since it encourages people to change focus often.:D

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

Sounds a bit like me. :) Loved your post.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I enjoy your "thinking out loud". I get to know you better that way.

Julies

sara said...

Well, you know I've always been a hobby collector. I kind of feel like being a homemaker is the closest I have ever gotten to being able to synthesize all of my interests and abilities - as well as its being a lifestyle that challenges me to continue growing and learning.

You have had such amazing opportunities lately! I'm so happy for you.

Lesa said...

I liked your "thinking out loud". I also like the idea of focusing on one thing at a time. What do I want to do first?...........hmmmmm?

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I am typically all over the map all the time. It seems there is just not enough time - that is when I try to remember that I don't have to do or have everything right now. The time will come...

Danielle

nic said...

i hear ya, jena. i totally have life ADD. i frequently whinge to my husband: the problem is i just LIKE everything! and i can't decide if everyone is this way, but most people pick one thing and go with it, or if we're the anomaly. tell me when you find out. :)

ALSO! by virtue of following my blog, your name was entered in my latest giveaway and you won! drop me an email so we can discuss. (nicole k owens at yahoo dot com).

yay!