Tuesday, March 16, 2010

and we never let that stop us..

So, today was our big homeschooling co-op day. Tuesdays will go down in infamy in my children's minds the way gym locker rooms in the public schools go down in mine. In a word: overwhelming, yet a necessary evil. I love 'em and hate 'em all together. It's kind of like fried chicken.

Fried chicken from Popeye's-- can it possibly get any more caloric, salty, greasy, savory and expensive? And all in half the time it takes to eat in a decent restaurant? I think not. And that is precisely why it is a treat. About once a year or so, I treat my kids to Popeye's fried chicken. Today the weather was a balmy 64ish, and we had a gap of time in between our co-op and our gavel club. So, the kids decided we should go to the park and eat our "feast".

So, before we got to the park, I asked the little one, "Do you have to go potty?" And like all little ones, she said, "No"

You would think after FIVE children, I would learn that kids always say NO, even if it's been 12 hours since they've gone. The answer is always NO. It must be a real inconvenience or a sign of weakness to say "YES". Yes, I am a human being and have to go potty..

Anyway, I just took her word for it, and we got in the car and drove to the park with the chicken. We no sooner got the chicken and sides unloaded at the picnic table, and guess who has to "go"? The only problem is that the bathrooms are about a half a mile away.

So, I said," Hey, when I was a kid, growing up the U.P., we learned how to go behind a bush,"

All the kids groan...... "You are NOT doing that mommy. Take her to the bathroom. It's your maternal duty."

"Now wait a minute. There aren't that many people here, and I'll just take her to that clump of trees over there..."

"MOM! People are ubiquitous! You HAVE to take her to the bathroom!"

"Oh yeah? Well so is negativity, and we never let that stop us.."

(Why are people always trying to separate a perfectly content fried-chicken-eating mommy from her food??)

Nevertheless, I managed to get her to the bathroom before she exploded.

Is it possible that any of my kids won't need therapy when they are adults?

And ubiquitous? What have I raised? a bunch of loquacious, sententious big shots that need to encourage me in my maternal duties? really.

10 comments:

Susie said...

I hate it when that happens.

MommaMindy said...

I was at a garage sale once and one of my children pulled down their pants and squatted in the yard and peed. I was mortified! I hadn't taught my child to do that, yet she did it. Maybe you should have told her NOT to pee in the bush, and then she would have. :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

Heh. Heh. This is the difference between you with your big kids and me with my littles. I'm always trying to make sure my kids DON'T go potty outside (like poor MommaMindy's).

Organizing Mommy said...

It seems weird to me also. I was raised like a Yooper kid, and that's just what we did. And I forget that despite their yooper mother, they are NOT comfortable with roadside pottying.

sara said...

3 boys. plastic wet wipes canisters repurposed into pee pee cups. girls I wouldn't know what to do with.

The FitzGerald Family said...

I grew up using the side of the road as we traveled across the country on vacations, but that was back in the 60's--maybe that's not so politically correct today. My daughter just can't get herself to use that "outlet" even in dire circumstances. Frankly, when the bladder calls very demandingly, as long as adequate privacy can be achieved, I don't have a problem with it in emergency circumstances with children. I guess privacy and discretion are the key.

We almost got killed one time when my little girl demanded she had to "go" while we were driving on an L.A. freeway. With my husband driving and us surrounded by stop-and-go traffic, I foolishly helped her use the potty chair we carried in our car for just such emergencies. Unfortunately, it was at that unbuckled moment that a semi jackknifed right next to us. He came to a stop about 1" from our front fender. Praise the Lord we were unharmed, but we learned never to unbuckle our seat belts in traffic again! Better a wet seat than a dead bladder.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Boys are so much easier. We have a "pea patch" in the back yard. Good heavens, I don't want them traipsing inside with muddy feet every time they have to 'go'!

Hope you got to eat your chicken while it was still warm!

sara said...

ooooo. a pee patch! I think I'm getting excited about that!

Jenny P. said...

I'm dying with laughter. Did they actually use the word "ubiquitous"? That is way too funny.

Organizing Mommy said...

Jenny!! Thank you someone for finally getting the humor! It was not meant to degenerate into a pee patch discussion. Nevertheless, I'll give you moms with 17 boys a waver.