Monday, March 15, 2010

Don't hit "publish"

Lately I've been writing posts, letting them get published and then eliminating them from eternity.

It's like I have a lot to say, but then I second guess myself and "delete" the post a few hours after it is up. So, if you are wondering what is going on around here, so am I. I can't seem to get my thoughts to line up with my audience.

Or I can't find an audience for my thoughts! That's it! It's like I should go searching for a specific audience of people who enjoy my disjointed, disgruntled attitude that comes out in a reactionary negativity. Oh joy!

Now that I've got that out of the way, I think I'll tell you what I've been doing lately.

Are you ready? I've been planning the next year's school schedule for the kids. Except that next year's schedule only includes four children. As you know, we're launching this kid.

It seems odd. For so long, I've been planning all of the academics for James, and next year someone else will be in charge of it. I will not be able to breathe down his neck, checking to see if he is ready for school the next day. (Not that he let me do this)

And our other kids? Well, one child wants to take the maximum amount of classes that are offered for her grade level.

Another kid is happy with whatever I have planned for him.

Another kid would be perfectly content with four gym classes and two lunch periods.

And the little one says, "Do I like my schedule?" And I say, "Yes, you do. You really like your schedule." And she says, "Yes, I like my schedule.." But then again, she's in kindergarten. Her toughest class is going to be "Amazing Animal Science", followed by Art, Fabric Fun, brownies and around the World with Literature.

One of my boys was given the illustrious choice of either a) attending brownies with his little sister or b) joining the drama club. So, I guess we'll have a kid in drama, eh?

The other boy was also given the same option as above or joining the math club. So, we'll have one in the math club.

See how democratic my parenting style is? I'm all about rights. I have the right to decide what you are taking, and you have the right to do it. Easy peasy.

And since I do the job of signing the transcript, I think I'll take responsibility for getting them into decent classes for next year.

So, that is what a homeschooling mommy's job is in this style of homeschooling. It's more like being a logistician than an educator at this phase of the journey. But that's just fine with me. I've worked hard to get this far, so why should I let some school have all the fun of planning this stuff out?

So, that is what I've been tackling today. 5 minutes for Mom/ tackle it Tuesday.


16 comments:

Kristi Lea said...

I am so proud of your son, and of you! What a wonderful acheivement! I am still trying to wrangle in all the schoolwork for next year. I'm really exited about it though, because three children will be homeschooling next year and my oldest will be a fifth grader! I know that's nothing to you know that you have one going off to college, but that's HUGE for me...I can't belive my son will be a fifth grader. Time flies!

Cassie said...

I always like reading your blog. I may not always write a comment, but I like knowing what other homeschoolers are thinking. You are a fun lady.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Your conversation with your little girl is priceless. "'Do I like my schedule?' 'Yes, you do. You really like your schedule.' 'Yes, I like my schedule." Hysterical. Love it, love it.

I also like your "democratic" parenting style. I think I need to come to your for assertiveness training.

Braley Mama said...

I like your writing style just how it is! I understand about the deleting thing though, I have done that a few times:O)

sara said...

*snicker*

Organizing Mommy said...

Only sara is writing "snicker".. the rest of you missed the post that was up for ONE HOUR and taken down. Somehow I needed to vent--er.. uh.. make enemies.

I think we're past that.

And yes, assertiveness training. It's so easy for me, since my mother even salutes me. Incidentally, no one has asked me to teach the gentle and quiet spirit classes around here.

Kathryn said...

I've not been keeping up with my reading, so i come & find that i've missed some posts that have been deleted. Bad reader! Bad! LOL

Glad to be catching up. Sounds like you've got "spring fever." NO?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh no!

What did I miss?

Oh Jena, we were separated at birth...

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

What can I say? It was dumb. Next time I write something dumb, I'll leave it up, OK?

In fact, all of the rest of my dumb stuff is right here--all 500 posts of it. See? not missing a thing.

Susie said...

I like your writing style!

Upstatemomof3 said...

I know exactly what you mean! I am working on what my big kid (the only one big enough to do school so far) will be doing next fall. I am pretty impressed with the things you have your kindergartener doing. I'm still learning. And apparently my learning curve is rather large. :)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Um... about your 500 posts... is there some kind of directory?

Julie

Terry L. Hodges said...

I find your your writing simple and less of complications, just like how you deal with your child, no complications.
Being a parent can be a tough job but we simply can't allow it to get into our nerves because there is always something you can do about it. and that's exactly what your doing; dealing with it head on!. You go mom!

Organizing Mommy said...

Actually, the post I just put up was: 577. Can it get any more obnoxious? I think there are about 10 worth reading. If you have.. let's say.. 50 years, you could just keep hitting "older post" and get each one. I should go and cough up my cheesiest post and send you the link. But there are so many cheesies to choose from.. My videos are worse than my writing. Anywhoooooooooo....

Upstatemomof3 said...

It actually makes total sense. I can see that already with my younger two. I teach classes at our co-op that they can start taking at 3 and I cannot wait. It will be so much easier on me to teach if they are in a class. :)

Bonnie said...

I think homeschooling Mom's are amazing!!! and you are for sure one of them.