Friday, March 12, 2010

Fun, random Stuff..

My dear hubby (on the left) and a new friend, Kevin from Montana traveled to Moody together this week. Kevin was someone Will met at one of his previous classes. When he found out that Kevin was coming back, he offered to have him at the house for a night to save on hotel and food expenses. The kids had an especially fun time with him. He played games and ate pizza. The Lord's people are so nice. You can feel like you've known them for such a long time, even though it's only a few hours.
The next photo should speak for itself. If there's any one reason to be a stay-at-home mom, it should be moments like this. I know she has to grow up at some time, but why? She and I are the only ones home this evening. Will and the other four are in Milwaukee for the Robotics Regional Competition. Emily and I are eating quesadillas and watching Ratatouille for the millionth time. It's a cooking show--seems to be theme of this weekend. Anyway, I am deleting my last post about being disappointed. You regulars all read it and sympathized with me, so that's it. Time to move on.

Speaking of moving on, the kid is moving on. You know my son, Jamie, Robotdude, the kid who doesn't realize Abraham drinks organic milk, and that his government teacher is a lot better than his mother.. is actually moving on in this life.

Just this week, we found out his ROTC scholarship for Michigan Tech University came in. He was offered a full-tuition/ full room/ board 4-5 year scholarship. He is still waiting on news about the Air Force Academy, but his Plan B is "locked and loaded" as he said on his facebook account.

The funny thing is that I am quite sure he has NO IDEA how special that is. On Tuesday night, I was talking to Will and he said, "Did Jamie tell you the news?"
"What news?"
"You mean he DIDN'T tell you?"
I had been with him off and on all day at Hallstrom, Gavel Club until the kids had to go to Robotics. It wasn't exactly a ton of time to talk, but he could have mentioned something, you know.

The only thing I can think of is that he has NO IDEA what this means. How many people live in debt for YEARS over schooling expenses? But that's O.K. Time will teach him. Getting the scholarship is only half the battle. The next battle is keeping it. He's chosen a tough school with a good reputation.

I'm still in shell shock. My first child, completely homeschooled, and here we are--getting a full ride scholarship, straight out of high school. Seems rather incredulous to me. Then again, everything God does is that way.

And yes, I had to leave you for the weekend on a happy note.


Fun

Post update: This is how we homeschool right now. And it is also why I call myself the world's laziest homeschooling mother.

9 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

SHRIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Get out! A full-ride scholarship?

You tell that boy that that's a heck of a "Plan B"! (Still hoping the AFA works out, but... wow!)

And to you, homeschool mom, that's a pretty good reflection on you as well ;D

WOOOOOOOOT!

Braley Mama said...

Praise Him!!!!! Yeah what a great teacher he must of had :O) I know what you mean about a fellow believer can feel like you've known them forever.It is amazing how He does that. I feel like you are my oldest friend:O)
I hope i didn't come off as unsympathetic in my last comment. I get frustrated with people too, who doesn't? I apologize!!!!

sara said...

a FULL scholarship? That is really amazing. Congratulations!

Roxanna said...

That's amazing!! He should be very proud and so should you. It sounds like you and your DH did a great job raising him :)

Organizing Mommy said...

You guys are awesome. I am the world's laziest homeschooling mom. I thought my kids would turn out to be professional lego-players. Who knew?

And Braley Mama: what? You were totally sympathetic! What's up? You are my oldest best friend, except for Julie and Sara and Roxanne.. and Becky.. and... Mrs. P, can't forget her.. and of course the people I know in real life.. and anyone else I've missed..

Sorry I've been too caught up feeling sorry for myself which I am over that now to keep up with your blogs. We have a date this afternoon to do that.

LaVonne said...

Congratulations! A full ride? That is so wonderful. My own husband went into the Navy and got enough money for his Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree! No school debt here! PTL! ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Stop by anytime.

Blessings!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I already heard the great news on Facebook, but it's such great news that, of course, we need to rejoice here as well.

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Congratulations to your son!!!

Becky said...

Congratulations! I agree with the first post - that was a heck of a "Plan B". That is just fantastic. I wonder if the reality of how great this is hasn't dawned on him yet, or if he's kind of like my older brother; who would be fully cognizent of it, but just seems to breeze through life unimpressed by much of anything? To my brother, it would have just been a fact, like the sun coming up in the morning - nothing to get overly excited about. If that's the case well, we'll be excited for him!!
And BTW - yes, I have been told a few (hundred) times that I think like a man.:D