Thursday, March 4, 2010

Healthy DATE cookies


I made these in hopes of my kids not liking them. I had visions of Will and I sitting in our little tea-drinking spot, drinking gallons of tea over one or two cookies here and there. Bonding like.

No such luck. I tried. They were good enough for the kids OR they just condescended to eating them.. either way. The batch was gone in about 48 hours. Not to sound like a greedy pig or anything... but now I'd like to hide a few of them next time.



They use dates. What's a date? It's this fig-looking thing. My kids said that it reminded them of a larvae they studied in biology. I was hoping THAT ALONE would have kept the critters out.

See what I mean? Kind of weird. Anyway, you need a small truckload of them to make this.

And if you are looking for this on google, do not put "date images".. er uh.. yeah.

Anyway, the recipe!

2 1/2 cups of chopped dates (food processor works fine)
1 cup of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
4 eggs

Mix all in mixer.

Add: 4 cups of wheat flour/ or spelt/ kamut, etc.
1 cup rolled oats
1. t baking soda
1 t. salt

2 cups of chopped pecans
1/3 cup flax seed.

Roll into little blobs. Bake for 350* for 13 minutes.

4 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Those sound really delicious! I love dates. I think if you don't want your kids to eat them, you need to make fat free spinach mounds or something.

Jenny P. said...

mmmm those sound heavenly. Especially the bondingover tea. We're very similar, you know -- I do the same thing every evening with my hubby! At least... I drink all the tea and he steals all the cookies :)

Mocha Momma said...

I want some!! Tea and cookies with your hubs...that's special. We don't do that, but would like to.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope to see you more.
Nannette

Kelly @ The Startup Wife said...

Ooh, those look good! I love dates. (And I pretend to hate, but also kind of secretly love, all the silly date-related jokes--"a date? no thank you, I'm taken", etc. etc.--my husband makes when we eat them!)