Friday, March 19, 2010

I want to get organized but..

I want to get organized, but I'm too disorganized to do so.

there. end of post.

Just kidding. I know what you are thinking,
"just blitz, sweetheart.. Come on,
you can do it.."

You are right. I can do it, and I will, but I have this great friend staying at my house. My college roomie, Shelly is here for a few days before she heads to Boston for a conference. Shelly
is an experienced ELS teacher in China. She's been teaching off and on in China for the past 20 years, and she occasionally lives in the states to get her masters degree or teach at a college. She's only in the states for a week and chose to visit me--since I live near O'Hare, and that was a direct flight for her.. Yeah!!!

We are so busy talking over college memories, shopping, giggling, going out to lunch,
working out and talking to perfect strangers. (story on that later)

Shelly arrived Wednesday at dinner time, and our goal was to get her through her jetlag and keep her awake. Don't worry about that. I'm sure that if she wanted to go to bed earlier than she did, there would be no opportunity. You see, we always seem to want to EAT and have guests after prayer meeting. The kids invited Shannen over to play cards and EAT until 11:00 p.m.

And, after teaching two pilates classes, grocery shopping, making dinner and running back to get my friend and then eating/ chatting until 9:00 p.m., I'm in no mood to "direct traffic" and get the house picked up before bed.

When the rest of the family was at prayer meeting, Shelly and I ate our dinner and had a cup of tea together in our quiet house.

"You know, Shelly, this is the last quiet you are going to experience here during your visit.."

And I was right. No sooner had I said that and the doors crashed open and the activities began. And sure enough, they wanted to play "PIT"!! Can you get a louder game?

So, the good news is that everyone slept well. Shelly and I had a full day planned for the next day. We did have a leisurely morning of coffee (for me) and tea (for her). I managed to blitz with the kids before we left--just to clean up from the night before..

And then we were off! Lunch at Applebees with my Bible study girls, shoe shopping, Target, thrift store shopping, and then a cardio workout, more pilates teaching, making dinner and collapse!

So, now I need to blitz today.. Clean up the carnage! Love you guys..
Hedgehog mama on left with educated, sophisticated, friend on right. Socks from Target, the Easter collection.


6 comments:

Scottish Twins said...

I love the socks!

Have fun with your roomie :)

Ruby said...

Me too! the socks are very....fun!
This sounds like a wonderful chaotic visit. Isn't it nice to have friends who you don't need to "bung it on" for.

Maybe that is an Aussie expression? You get the idea, put on airs and graces.

Braley Mama said...

What cute socks!!!!! So glad you got time with a friend :O)

Mrs. Parunak said...

What fun! It's so great that you have kept up all these years. And what awesome socks.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Love the socks.

I'm with Ruby... lovely, lovely lovely to have "old" friends you can let your hair down with. Cleaning, organizing and blitzing (though near to my heart) can wait :D

Old friends are great because you don't have to explain everything.

Sarah said...

Love your socks!