Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's not in overdrive enough!!

Overdrive.. it's just the speed I do things in.

I can't help it. I move fast. really fast. If I'm not pulling G's, I'm probably asleep.

So, this morning my dear husband made me some toast.

"Wow! How did you cut the bread so thinly? I've never been able to do it that way!"

He says, " I just use this knife here," and he holds up this bread knife with teeny tiny little blades.

"That knife? I hate that knife. It never works for me!" (not that any bread knife works for me)

He says, "Oh, you have to cut really slowly with this knife. You can't go into overdrive with this one, so you probably wouldn't like it."

"Overdrive. That's it. If it doesn't work in overdrive, I have no idea how to use it.."

196 m.p.h. is the average speed that I like to go. I can't imagine slowing down enough to cut bread slowly, just to make it thin. If you want bread around here, you either cut it yourself, or eat a thick slice. That's just the way it goes. If my sweetheart is home, he is required to cut the bread. So, he is not tempted to complain about my skills. Isn't that generous of me?

Speaking of generous, my mother saved me the anxiety of having to finish this project.

I tried. I seriously tried. I think I have to give up quilting for lent.

I called my mother on Saturday, "Mooooooooommmmmmmmm! (whiney voice) I caaaaaaan't do this awwwwwwwwful quilt... If I promise to never make another quilt again, could you finish this for me?"

And she said, "Yes!" and then I was light as a butterfly and flitting around the house.

She explained that when she was working with teenagers, she couldn't concentrate on anything. Do you think I qualify since I have (almost) four teenagers? So, she reassured me that I would get my concentration skills back when the kids were not teens anymore..

Or is it that one can not quilt in overdrive? Not sure. I need to stop quilting, so my mother can have a life again.

For more like this, join us for makes my home sing Mondays at Moms the Word.

16 comments:

Kristi Lea said...

What a relief to have her finish it for you! I'm sure deep down, she's got to feel good to be able to still have something she can do for you! I think us mothers will always be looking for those things, no matter how old we, or our children will get. It's nice to be needed...for anything!

I used to have to do everything in overdrive, but ever since we moved to the south, I've slowed waaaay down...probably too much. It's nice though. I feel like I enjoy life more. Although, the house sometimes suffers because of it....there's always a trade off. I'm trying to find a happy middle!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Hurray for your mom!

I hate having something hanging over me. Even when it's not something necessary. I feel like if I started it I MUST finish it. And it affects my "mental space" for working on stuff that does matter.

Makes no sense, I know.

But hurray for your mom!

Kristi Lea said...

I forgot to say, that with almost 4 teenagers in the house, there just about has to be only one speed...and that would be overdrive!

I must also say, that on the days I don't feel like accomplishing much, I can usually find a post on your blog that gives me the umph I need to get going! I appreciate that!

Braley Mama said...

Isn't it neat how God makes us all so different? And that our hubbys are so different, the compliment us so well!
Yeah for awesome mama's who help you out!!!!

Ruby said...

Deep breathes, slow, relax....
Truly, your mother is a champion.
I now have this image of you doing everything at the speed you were travelling in that cleaning video! Overdrive plus!

Sarah said...

I let my husband cut the bread too, when he's around.

But please let me see the quilt when it is finished. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to do those things for me.

DarcyLee said...

Oh, I remember those days-one year to be exact-when all of my 4 girls were teenagers at the same time. Trying to keep up was a challenge. So nice of your mom to finish the project for you. Yay, Mom!

Joyfull said...

Loved the bread story. That could be me and my husband! Glad that your mom came to the rescue on the quilt! I understand the rush of life with teens (and almost teens), many blessings to you!

Charlene said...

I have two words for you--electric knife. It's a life saver for cuting things thinly and smoothly--and in overdrive. I use mine for meats, bread, and for cutting corn off the cob during gardening season.

Organizing Mommy said...

Sarah: yes, you can see the quilt when it is done.

Charlene: Ah... faster ways to cut myself, eh?

I forgot to mention that I never sew without injuring myself, and I never cook without burning myself. It's so relaxing around here...

Deborah said...

I thought I would begin to get my concentration back now that I have children entering the teen years. I've blamed my recent years of my inability to concentrate and multitask on pregnancy and childbirth -- never mind that the youngest is now seven. Apparently, just as I thought I was beginning to get my faculties back, I was blessed with a teenager :o)!

You're not the only one who does things in overdrive!

Blessings!
Deborah

~Tami said...

I don't enjoy anything that can't be done in an instant, expect for reading. I'm just not crafty or patient or something.

:) LOL

momstheword said...

I know that my mom says I am always in a hurry, and even my hubby comments, lol! I've been known to run down the hall to get from one room to another.

But I am learning to slow down which eases the stress and I finally learned to cut my own bread, haha!

Thanks for linking up today and what a nice mommy you have.

LaVonne said...

What a great mom. :) That is one thing I would love to learn - quilting. We have a couple aunts who do it, and they are beautiful. Blessings this Monday! :)

Mrs. Parunak said...

What a nice Mommy you have, both for finishing your quilt and for encouraging you about life with teens.

Erin said...

I think she's right. I think you should just smile, give her a hug and a kiss and your undying gratitude and get it off your to-do list. I think it takes a certain mental calm to do things like quilting and I just don't have it yet! Glad to know I'm not the only one!