Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One year to an Organized Life.


I am reading a book. (applause) Thank you.

I am reading: One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds. I checked it out from the library, in hopes of refreshing my mind and spirit about organizing.

And it worked! Will and I conquered the office on Monday. I can't say how much of it was purely because of reading the book, but we did it.

About the book: Regina calls herself "the Zen Organizer". Obviously, you all know that Zen stems from Buddhism. And, quite honestly, it's all the rage to sound "Zen". You might as just as well called yourself, "the cool Organizer from L.A.". In reality, the book has very little to do with Buddhism or it's beliefs. It has to do with common sense.

In other words, it is probably doubtful that a person grounded in the Word of God is going to convert to Zen, by purely reading this book. But I thought I should mention that, just because.

One of the reasons I like this book is that she takes a new look at the reasons behind disorganization. Each individual has his own hangups. So, what I might even call "Christian counseling techniques" she talks you through your "issues". There are issues for each of us.

I like the idea that a lot of these are legitimate. It would be the "don't feel guilty about it" approach. For example, she thought is was a HUGE thing to have two children and breastfeeding the baby for at least six months! (Uh.. how about four children and breastfeeding for over two years?) I suppose hardly anyone is L.A. breastfeeds, you know?

And sometimes the things that we are doing other than organizing are legitimate things, like having babies and all. So, the way to cope with this is not to beat yourself up over it. Make a plan and deal with it.

In my case, the office was an example of the evidence of a busy lifestyle. Both of us were too busy to give it daily/ weekly attention. It took both of us to recover it. Now that it's clean and organized, my hubby wants to be down there, doing what needs to be done.

I know you want pictures, but I decided to not take photos. Some things in this life need to be private. I have such a peace about it, and it was the Lord who gave the victory! And he used a little book, written by a Zen lady.

This is what is currently working for me this Wednesday.

9 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

That is hilarious. Especially the Zen part. It's definitely hip to be zen. Even if you're not zen. I love the disclaimer.

And WOO-HOO on the office-conquering. We'll forgive you for the lack of pictures. I'm looking around me, (at my own office), and imagination will suffice.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Hehe! So, what I'm getting out of this is the idea that having had four children and breastfed for a total of nearly five years (still on-going) means that everyone should be able to understand if I am not organized, right? Unfortunately, I still want to be organized, though. I think you should write the book for people with lots of little kids who still want be organized. We could call you the cool organizer from Rockford!

Brandi @ Frugal Farmhouse said...

I have heard great things about this book, I think you just talked me into getting it :)

I understand about pictures, I take don't take pictures of my house either. You need your privacy :)

Organizing Mommy said...

Aren't there books already about organizing with a lot little kids? If not, I might write one.

Laurie said...

Thanks for sharing this book, I'll def look for that in my library. I like your blog and your header is so adorable! I'm a new follower. I'd love for you to visit me sometime at:

sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com OR
lauriesfoodfiles.blogspot.com

Have a great day! Laurie

The dB family said...

Hmmmm! Sounds like a good read -- even if I don't care about being zen :oD. I'm past zen -- or should I say I've never been zen. At least now I can explain my diorganization -- well, ummm, I've had four children, and well, we homeschool. Really though, that is the truth. I organize and their radars come up. How quickly can we destroy mom's organization? Oh well, some days it's not for lack of trying. Other days, I think I'm just plain lazy!

Let me know when you want to write that book. I'll get the pictures all ready :o)!

Blessings!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'll help... although three kids doesn't really count as "a lot".

I had four for a year though :D

Ruby said...

Love all the ducks in a row, too!

Diane said...

thanks I just placed a hold on it through my library. I am looking forward to reading it.