Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rotini sausage mix

Accidental successes in the kitchen need to be given the glory they are due, don't you think?
I like this because it incorporates a ton of veggies, and you can use whatever you happen to have on hand.

BIG BATCH INSTRUCTIONS:

Cook 2 boxes of rotini noodles--makes about 8-10 cups of noodles
Cook 2 packages of Italian sausage (one spicy, one regular)
To cook the sausage, I remove the skins before cooking and brown all the meat like you would for ground beef (minced)
Veggies: fresh broccoli, snap peas, green onions, red peppers, spinach, and mushrooms. (about 6 cups of veggies for this size batch) You can use any veggies for this part. This is just what we like around here.

Cut the veggies into bite sized pieces and saute in butter. Season with salt. If you do not want to use very much butter, steam the veggies in a little water, covering with a lid.

Drain the sausage. Combine the pasta, sausage and veggies. Add some pine nuts and parmesan cheese for a garnish. Serve on a bed of fresh spinach.

Makes a huge batch!

3 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

This is a great idea. My husband adores pasta salad.

Erin said...

Looks fabulous...I'll definitely keep this idea simmering for the right time.

Erin T. said...

OOOO! I make this too, we love sausage and the sauteed broccoli is so good too! Thanks for reminding me to make some! Btw, I found your blog through Emily's blog, now I'm enjoying yours, so thanks, Erin T.