Monday, March 22, 2010

That's it; the office is getting conquered.

I'm having a showdown with the scariest, most formidable room in my house: the office.

Are you saying, "How nice for you.. I don't even have a spare room for an office. I balance my checkbook sitting in the kitchen."

Having an office space was necessary for our lifestyle. Since my husband is not only an engineer, he's actually a preacher, a spare Hallstrom teacher, a ham radio operator, an expert woodworker, a toastmaster, a grad student, a dad, and the family "book keeper". When I put it like that, it's no wonder that the space gets out of control. We carved out a space in the basement and finished it off. It actually looks pretty nice when it is all picked up.

And where do I fit into all of this? Well, for the most part, I just avoid going in that room. I don't enjoy visual overload. No, it's beyond that. Going into that room sends me into a sweat, and then I start having an anxiety attack. To cope with my anxiety, I respond in anger.

I went down to try and access the situation and came back to think and pray about it. My daughter saw me sitting on the couch.

"Is there something wrong, Mommy? You look pensive."

"Yes, there is. I'm not pensive. I'm angry."

(Her eyebrows raising) "What's wrong?"

"I was just in the office. There are little angry demons down there--little green ones.."

"Rooms don't make me angry. I've never heard of a room that makes people angry."

"Well, now you have. And could you pray for me?"

"Yes. But this counseling stuff is hard.."


Poor thing! I shouldn't unload on my sweet daughter.
I can do this. People have actually "hired" me to organize their offices for them. I need to get a grip. Why is it soooooooooooo hard when it's your own space?????

And I have been praying about helping my husband a little more with the office tasks. It's been so hard to help him, since I can't go in the room without getting upset. So, in order to help him, I need to get the space up to my standards. Get it?

It's been a bit of a spiritual journey for me. I have to humble myself and admit that God is calling me to get involved with the office work. (I guess I've considered myself above that or something?) I need to cast my cares on him, since this is going to cause me some stress. (Money and books are stressful to me--even in the cleanest office) And I need to be obedient to this, even though I am fighting it tooth and nail. (I have a strong will, you know)

Other than that, life is peachy around here. My friend Shelly got off to her next location, and we had a blast. And my kids are enjoying their spring break. And I am going to have another cup of coffee, read some more of Colossians and conquer that monster.

"Whatever you do, work heartily as unto the Lord, and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Col 3: 23-24.

Make my home sing Monday: at Moms the Word! Join us over there for others who are making their home sing.

5 comments:

Braley Mama said...

I am cracking up from your daughter's last line, "this counseling thing is hard!"
I hope and pray that you will have the wisdom and energy to take on that office!!!

Eos Mom said...

I'm sorry the office stresses you out, I hope that the cleanup goes well (and that you will post pictures and updates along the way)!

Thanks for checking in on me the other day. I'm always lurking even if I don't comment. And I adore the bag! I took it with me to my son's endoscopy as a pick-me-up on a hard day.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I think sometimes it's easier to be objective when it's someone else's mess, but when it's in our house, there's a sort of personal injury about it. I hope you can make excellent progress toward tidiness and order without too much steam coming out your ears. May you abound in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, even while organizing.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

So how does the office thing work? Is it HIS or HERS or THEIRS?

Just walking into Kerry's office nearly gives me a nervous breakdown, but he won't let me clean/organize it. It's very much HIS.

If (oh, who am I kidding, when) my office gets looking like that I can attack it with abandon, but his...

Organizing Mommy said...

Eos MOM: So glad the bag is a blessing to you!!

Hey everybody!! We spent 8? hours doing the office today, and it looks great, and I haven't been upset.
Thanks for praying. Things are great.