Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blitz it Friday #38

Well, be careful! The Organizing Mommy is on a blitz again. Things are flying, glasses are breaking, and stuff is getting hauled outta here!

So, I've been doing several days of blitzing through out the house. Call it Spring Cleaning, if you like. I was moving so fast, I did not even contemplate before and after pictures. But I did do this for you. Just tonight after dinner, I decided to blitz the kitchen.

Here's my unsuspecting family at the table before I kicked them out.
Here's one of the counters, full of food and stuff from the day. Normally my kids do kitchen chores, but I just released them from the responsibility so I could show you how easy it is.
So, let's review the basics here. I set the timer for one hour. I put on some good quality shoes and an apron. (No picture because the sight is kind of scary)

So, first things first: put away all food and clear off table.
Rinse off dishes and soak them in the sink.
Spray down counter, stove, micro.
Load the dishwasher, start it running.
Set up for hand washing.
Clear out some things from the fridge and wash those dishes also.
All of the above was done in 30 minutes.

Handwash for 15 minutes without stopping.
7 minutes of drying and putting away clean items.

7 minutes left: wipe off counter, sweep floor, remove items from kitchen that do not belong in it. Done with 3 minutes to spare.

Call up kids for their blitz.

Oh yeah. This is a picked up kitchen!
Are you getting the blitzing endorphins going right through the screen? Yeah. Me too.
And the kids' blitz involved things like: getting the trash out, putting away junk that had collected in the hallway, picking up the living room, vacuuming, and making cookies!

Here's a few of the things from the all week blitz: a newly arranged play area with (a lot) less stuff cluttering it up. What you do not see: A big pile of toys in black garbage bags that were exported out of the house in a most clandestine fashion.
More living room fun.
How many ways can one arrange the furniture? I think I've discovered most of them.
And guess who got a bath tonight? (I love it when kids are all scrubbed up and jammied)
Here is my craft/ sewing area remake. I removed all of the sewing things and decided for this next season of life, this room is going to be a social overflow room.
and I picked up this nice couch for $40.00 today at a garage sale. It's quite pretty and it works really well with the room. The little trunk thing is from last year's garage sale exploits. I think it was $15.00. The Chinese runner is from my friend Shelly who is a missionary in China.
So, that's that. Tomorrow we are having more guests, and they are going to help us get our bathroom fixed. We have a basement bathroom that has been non-functional for about a year or more, so that will be really nice when it gets finished!
So, I hope you will be encouraged to get moving with some of the projects around your house that you've been putting off. It's spring already, and it's time to blitz!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are new to blitzing, here are some other links on the topic:

Basically, blitzing is forcing ourselves to focus for a set period of time on hands-on tasks.
Read about the: one hour blitz and staying focused.

Also, blitzing with kids is a blast if you are an airchair general.

Glad you could join us! Now you have MANY choices about using the blitz. You are welcome to do/ try any or all of them.... and so many photos to choose from!

And for you guys who like to move slowly, try plodding.



5 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

You are so inspiring! I love that you're willing to show the "before" pictures because then I don't feel so hopeless. I think for a milestone birthday sometime, I'm going to pay to bring you out to my house for a coaching session.

Organizing Mommy said...

Mrs. P: that would be a pathetic waste of money.. LOL. Besides, you can ask anyone who has been to my house that is often more of a disaster than not. I can just whirl it around quickly. But I probably will come and visit and no doubt I will be helped, not you. So, do you know anyone who can house me for a visit?

Jenny P. said...

Wow. Especially the basement room -- WOW! It's beautiful, and completely different! I love it. I'm feeling all inspired to tackle the closets where stuff got tossed when we moved in back in October. Happy Friday!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, I'm inspired and excited to get going, but we have lunch and science to finish first.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Okay... I don't have as many pics as you, but we got a lot of picking up done.

More tomorrow, I hope :D