Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Eating my fork is not the only thing I can do well

Have you guys ever dove into a salad with a plastic fork in such a way that you end up eating part of the fork?

O.K. me neither.. until today. Today I was hungry enough to just eat it. I knew the extra parts of the fork had to be somewhere on my plate or in my mouth. So, I decided that there are a lot of things that make their journey into the intestinal canal of young children and exit whole. So, why stop when you are young?

So, as I type, there are entire adventures awaiting a part of a fork that very few forks will get to do. And that is what makes this blog so special. Special indeed. You just never know what to expect around here.

Yesterday I spent the day crying, and today is a new day. A day for a flat tire in the parking lot of Hallstrom.. A day for corralling perfectly normal homeschool dads into helping me change the tire, since my own children's homeschooling dad is in France today. I even introduced two dads who didn't know each other before. See how I am being helpful here?

So, the one dad said, "Oh your husband is the SAC warrior; I know him!"

SAC warrior? I thought he was an organizing daddy. I thought he was a preacher engineer. I never knew... and then I remembered.. our years in the Air Force.. he was in a division called Strategic Air Command (SAC)..

Me, coming to my senses, "That's right! I hardly ever address him as a SAC warrior, but I should, I really should... I still try to honor him and all... er uh.. yeah.."

I'm so glad there are other dads out there who remind me what really matters to a man. I feel like I should give my husband a special ceremony or something "All Hail, the SAC warrior is home!" with much fanfare. I think I should change my facebook page to "SAC warrior's wife" or at least blog in about the good ole days once in a while...

Except they weren't really good (for me), so I try to forget them. But some progress has been made on that front. Usually if I have a bad dream, it involves moving to North Dakota. For some reason our last assignment in Minot, ND put me over the edge enough to put it in the perpetual nightmare status.

Well, just last night even, I had a dream about moving to North Dakota and it was NOT a nightmare. Progress, I'm telling you. Purely progress in my emotional stability.

Aren't you glad? You can relax now. And I'm telling you that blogging is cheaper and more effective than therapy. Thanks for doing your part.

10 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm so glad you blog for therapy because you're always so delightful. I'm glad you had some help with your tire since your SAC warrior was out of town.

Cassie said...

I am so glad to read your blog...you just make me smile.

Sherry said...

I do think that blogging can be therapy, too. :D It has been for me! :D

Herding Grasshoppers said...

ABSOLUTELY!

Blogging is therapeutic... and you do it well :D

Glad the dads helped with the tire, with your "SAC Warrior" away.

North Dakota doesn't sound very pleasant to me (apologies to the good people there), but that may be because we're reading through Lewis and Clark's adventures, and -45F sounds miserable!

About your fork... "Oh the places you'll go!"

Rébecca said...

I found your blog the other day and enjoyed it right away as I am a young mother striving to put some organization in my disorganized life with 4 kids 5 and under.
Then I just read in this post that your husband is in France. That is very interesting because that's where we live ! Where is he in France ? I'm just curious :-)

The dB family said...

Hah! I'm not the only one who blogs for therapy. Not only that, it's nice to know that I am not alone!

Blessings!
Deborah

Organizing Mommy said...

Rebecca from France, my dear husband works for Hamilton Sundstrand who has contracts with Airbus in Toulouse. He is only there for the week. I have been to Toulouse, Paris and most recently, Dijon. Love love love it. Once the French get used to us (meaning Americans), they usually get along famously with us.

We have such dear friends who are kind enough to speak English with us when we visit. It's hard to believe that a country can be as beautiful and diverse as France. I will enclose a link here about our last trip to France, OK?

http://organizedeveryday.blogspot.com/2009/09/castles-south-of-dijon.html

Click around the previous and newer posts to get the full trip.

P.S. I hope you are not discouraged by the general lack of organizing I have going on around here these days.

Rébecca said...

Hi again,
that's exciting ! We live in Toulouse. My husband is a pastor here (http://toulouse.baptiste.free.fr/)
We would love to meet you one day !
We were on vacation last here near Beaune and visited the Hospice so it was fun seeing your pictures !

Organizing Mommy said...

Rebecca, do you have a blog? I need to have a way to contact you. Is your husband's church in English? Our French is shaky.. er.. nonexistent. Anyway, so fun meeting you. Sorry about all of the strange spellings on my food post. I'm so uncultured!!

Rébecca said...

No, I don't have a blog, but here is my email address : chrysalydes@yahoo.fr
Our church services are not in English, but we gladly translate if needed.