Monday, April 5, 2010

A few tears and then moving on..

As a Mom, you want your children to succeed. I've always encouraged the kids to reach for their dreams without ever saying "you can't". So, when a disappointment comes, I cry for them.

The rejection letter came today from USAFA. Just last night, I was telling Will that I really felt like God was not going to send Jamie to USAFA. The Michigan Tech option was, in my mind, the better option. Nevertheless, in man's eyes, the academy is the creme de la creme, the cat's meow, the top notch option.

We all sat watching Jamie as he opened the letter, knowing it was a rejection letter--since it came in the form of a letter. If it were an acceptance, it would have been a phone call. Still, it was possible that it wasn't a rejection.

Knowing how much he wanted this! Knowing how hard this must be! And yet, seeing (through the eyes of a mother) that the other option (Michigan Tech) was probably better for him!

He didn't cry, or yell or even show signs of being upset. No problem. I cried for him. He's out on a run now--processing in his own way. I'm so proud of him! In two days, he turns 18. He'll probably feel 36, after all of this growing up he's had to do this year. And yet, God is Sovereign.

It's all in his perfect plan. And I have such a peace. I love that little man of mine. When they get to the age where a mom's hug won't heal their wounds, we can cry and pray and hug them anyway. And it's all good. He serves the same God I serve, and that is all he needs.

13 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, I feel the disappointment.

Yet... praying that he will see God directing his life, and will trust.

Hurting for you,

Julie

Kristi Lea said...

I'm so sorry to hear...I can't imagine being in your shoes. I am glad though, that God didn't allow that path, if it is truly not the right one! I hope his processing goes well, and I do pray that he will see it for God's will, and not a failure!

Jill Garcia (Smith) said...

Reading this as a first time mom is heartbreaking, yet so encouraging! Oh how the Lord equips us mothers for each different stage of life that our kids will go through, heartbreaking and all! Thank you for giving me a glimpse into my future, and for the encouragement to respond just as Christ would have us mommies respond, with love, tenderheartedness and trust in His perfect will!!

Ruby said...

Hugs to you and your little man♥ You are very brave and our God is surely soveriegn! This will be a great character builder for that young man, who sounds as though his character is already in pretty good shape!

Jan Hatchett said...

Yes, I understand a mother's tears for her son's dissapointments. I have a mildly autistic son. Just mild enough that he knows what he is missing. That's when it hurts.

But, God is good and he will heal and provide. I am proud of you and your son!

Mrs. Parunak said...

I can think of few lessons harder than than trusting God when His will is different from my will. If Jamie gets it now, he really will be like a 36 year old, or maybe even a 56 year old, certainly more mature than I am.

Hurting for you both, and glad that "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9).

Organizing Mommy said...

I've been crying all afternoon, but he seems fine. I think the stress valve has just been released for me, and along with it, tears. Part of me says: get a grip, girl. The other part says: why not cry? It feels good to cry. And yes, the kid is fine. He is completely at peace. I think he's excited about the next step.

Braley Mama said...

Praying for him!!! And crying with you:O)

Becky said...

I'm sorry for any disappointment he may have felt, and I certainly feel for you (what mom who has had a child be disappointed in something not be able to sympathize), but I'm glad he's a peace with the whole thing.

Persuaded said...

Oh man.. can I ever relate to this... You know, I think that the dings and bangs our kids suffer really do hurt us more than anything else. As moms we'd so gladly suffer ourselves if we could do it in the place of our children! You should be proud of your son for handling disappointment in such a mature and reasonable manner... surely a mark of excellent mothering, I should think;)

Erin said...

Oh, I was right there with you in February, when Charming got the news that he had not been accepted into the Jet Programme. It was tough to see his disappointment, even as I felt reaffirmed (as I didn't think it was the right move at the right time for him). Learning to recover from disappointments is what will make our boys become men...and we have to let that happen. No more tears, Mom...this is us, handing over the reins of their lives to them. We did well, so they can do well.

The dB family said...

Is it okay if I cry for you too? Praying for you and your son that you will see God's hand in his life.

Blessings and ((hugs))!
Deborah

synge lucia said...

Scanning this because the initial mother is actually tragic, however therefore motivating! Oh yea the way the Head of the family equips all of us moms for every various phase associated with existence our children goes via, tragic as well as just about all! Thanks with regard to providing me personally the peek in to my personal long term, as well as for that reassurance in order to react just like Christ might have all of us mommies react, along with adore, tenderheartedness as well as rely upon Their ideal may!!

fifa 14 xbox coins
lol elo boost