Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh, I'm bad, really bad!!!

You guys know that I teach a study skills class, right? I have homeschooled students in my class, and they are, for the most part, really good kids. But we have rules, I tell you. Hard cold rules at this co-op. I'm not entirely sure if texting during class is illegal, but I assume it is. But even if it isn't, I'm not going to put up with it, so there.

So, this kid was hiding his phone under the table and texting while I was teaching.

Me: "Hey, you can stop texting your girlfriend, unless you want me to read the entire thing out loud to the class.."

Sheepish kid puts phone away.

About an hour later, I saw Sheepish boy with girlfriend in the parking lot. They were just walking together, but he snuck his arm around her shoulder. Ah HA! That's about as affectionate it gets around here, but I could tell he was a paranoid wreck. It had nothing to do with the eagle eyed study skills teacher eyeing them.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not in favor of teens dating, but some parents don't seem to mind it. I have conflicted emotions about what to do about the whole thing when it involves someone else's kids. The co-op says no dating. The parents seem to be O.K. with it. Conflicted emotions may explain what happened next.

So, Paranoid boy walks toward the building with girl.

Me to the girl: "So, did you get the text he sent you during study skills class?"

Girl: "No, I didn't"

Paranoid boy: "I did not text her!"

Me to the boy: "Does she know that you were texting another girl?"

They both laughed nervously.

See what I mean? Bad. very bad.


12 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Oh... if you only had PICTURES!!!

Attention teens: fear and respect The Hedgehog.

Ruby said...

Hahaha! You are wicked, wicked I say!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my jeepers! You just loved making that comment. I know you dear sister! Now if it had been me, I would have liked to take away his phone until after class but would have been too wimpy to actually do it. So I applaud you! You go girl!!!

Cassie said...

Good job! Love it!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

My sister is a teacher in a public school, here in Washington. If she takes something away - like a cell phone - in class, the student's PARENT OR GUARDIAN has to come and retrieve it for/with them.

No nonsense.

Becky said...

Oh, I love it!
We were visiting a church once (I really like the way the pastor there preaches so we've visited a few times) when I noticed a young man on the front row - the front row mind you - slump down in his seat and start acting a little fishy; I suspected him of texting. This particular preacher has a habit of coming down from the podium and walking around the front of the church while he preaches. He says nothing to this kid, but on one of his passes he reaches down, swipes the cell phone, puts it in his pocket, and keeps right on preaching, never missing a beat. Several minutes later he interrupts his preaching to turn and look at the boy and say, "You just got a message son, do you want to take it?" The (rather tall) young man nearly disappears from all view to the pews behind him.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

That's hilarious, Becky!

There's a man in our (very small) church who often sits across the aisle from us. He is ALWAYS diddling with his phone, but I realized he's using LOGOS software and can call up the Bible and enter in notes.

I've had to make a big point of that with my boys, though, because they thought he was playing games!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Yikes. My husband and I both use our phones instead of printed Bibles in church. I have cool software that lets me split the screen between the KJV and the original Hebrew (which I can limp along in) and Greek (which I'm just starting to learn). I hope no one thinks I'm texting!

Lesa's Life said...

Love it! Good for you!

Braley Mama said...

oh my goodness! funny! I don't know why but this reminds me of this couple in church, who are very young and in the pews during service they can't keep their hands off of each other. We have a big church, I think I am the only one who has noticed them. But if I were as brave as you I would say something:O)

singtothelord2 said...

too funny!! I wish I was as brave as you are..

Roxanne said...

Oh, don't even get me started on this. It *seems* so innocent, but the broken hearts are sure real.