Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sing and shout

Shout for joy in the Lord, O you righteous!

Sing to him a new song! (parts of Psalm 33)

How often do I shout and sing to the Lord? If I have every minute of my life planned out, with every little possible kink ironed out, when does it lend itself to shouting and singing to the Lord?

And in what context is this to happen? Forgive me, but I think in very practical terms.

Shouting? We don't shout in our local church. Where do I shout? I can't even remember the last time I've shouted anything good or bad.

And new songs? You mean something from my heart? Something that comes from my heart of worship? These are tough things.

And so I was going to tell you about the massive blitzing going on around here. It's been awesome. But why? Why is cleaning up the house so awesome? So, I can get more stuff and clean some more? What good does it do?

I need to stop this crazy cycle of getting stuff, storing it, getting rid of it, etc. Why buy anything in the first place? I'm ready to set a match to the whole place.

I want my space cleared up. Quite honestly, I want my brain cleared up. I want to serve the Lord undistractedly (for once). Will this happen THIS side of heaven? Why so much stuff?

I don't mean to be a downer. We all live on this earth, for better or worse. We all have to deal with the stuff of earth and living. But it's hard when you know that heaven is your real home, and yet, we have so much on earth to do! I have a family to raise, feed, clothe, educate (which is a cluttery business, by the way), things to make, vegetables to grow, reading to do, and a house to take care of. The only thing that could make it worse would be a vacation home, boats, extra cars, horses, cattle, a farm, etc. I want to be free!! Free from stuff!

I'm ready to engage in heavenly business, Lord, help me to be free of extra stuff so I can get on with your work. Give me wisdom when I am sorting through things. Help me to keep those things that you know I'll need and get rid of the rest. Give me self control when I'm out shopping to NOT BUY anything that is not necessary, even if it is cheap.

Give me help to be undistracted and free enough to shout to you for joy! Give me a new song, Lord. A brand new song..

10 comments:

Scottish Twins said...

Great post!

Joyfull said...

Love it!

The Queen Mommy said...

this spoke the most to me:
I need to stop this crazy cycle of getting stuff, storing it, getting rid of it, etc. Why buy anything in the first place? I'm ready to set a match to the whole place. whew! isn't that the truth!

Eos Mom said...

Amen!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

You are speaking words from my heart too!

(and I'm working through "It's All Too Much", by Peter Walsh... very practical.)

Life is a cluttery business.

I need to borrow that for my blog!

Julie

Saint Shellie said...

Amen! I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Blessings!!

momstheword said...

Oh my yes! We can spend so much time caring for things and worrying about things or working to acquire things that who has time for anything else? Seems like it anyway.

Thanks for linking up!

Tami Q. said...

How true it is that we get distracted by the clutter of this world! Great reminder!

Braley Mama said...

Amen! I feel this way sometimes, and then I go to Target,,,ARRGHH!!!
Seriously I feel like getting rid of all the stuff too:O) Great post mama!!!

Mrs. Parunak said...

Oh, great post, and great motivation for those of us who have a hard time shedding the junk. We need to keep an eternal perspective and only allow stuff in our homes that help us serve the Lord.