Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday 2 hour blitz..and other stuff

It's the Lord's Day, and what am I doing blitzing?

Isn't it supposed to be a day of worship and rest? Yes and yes.

This morning the Lord lead me to Psalm 36. I was just rejoicing and worshipping the Lord especially "drinking from the river of his delights.." Oh, it's so rich! How often do I forget where the delights are! They are right there, waiting for me to drink it all in. I'm feasting on his goodness, even still.

So, why am I home and not gathering with the Christians? Well, my little one came down with a fever last night. She was shaking and kept saying "I'm scared" "I'm scared" even though she could not figure out what was making her scared. She slept in our bed and she still was not comforted. We prayed. I even talked her through a prayer. Finally, I thought it might be good to give her some meds for the fever/ pain. She finally is sleeping peacefully and relaxing. I'm hoping when she does wake up, she'll be her happy little self again.

(rest of the post written after the fact)

So, while I was home with her, I decided to blitz the kitchen. Boy oh boy did it need it. It's kind of funny. When I was younger, the thought of being at home with cleaning to do rather than being with the Christians would have made me upset and feel sorry for myself.

Just goes to show what time will do. I was literally counting it all joy. I put on some wonderful music, and just sang my heart out and cleaned, did dishes, made bread, put away things, got lunch ready. It was a little worship service of a whole new kind.

Soon enough, Emily got up and she was happy. She still had a little fever, but she wanted water, food, a shower, new clothes, and some toys. I was so thankful. My little sweetness slept off the crud. My family worshiped without me there, and Will spoke at our chapel.

Sometimes just taking what life gives you instead of fighting it all the time is just the perfect way to survive, you know? And my new blogging friend, Jenny was here for the weekend.

Here is something that I am realizing that I do special for guests: nothing. That's right. Nothing.

Now trying to do nothing special and still making them feel special is an art all of its own, but it is the only way I can do it.

Here is all of the non-special things we did while Jenny was visiting:
When Jenny arrived, it was right around the time that Will was supposed to arrive from France. So, we sat and visited for a little bit, and she met the kids. When Will got in, I gave him attention--helping him unpack his bags, going for a walk to catch up on stuff, and trying to keep him awake until dinnertime.

Jenny made fast friends with Joanna, my daughter, and they cut up all the potatoes and carrots and onions for moose stew. While the pot was simmering, the girls played with Emily outside, Will and I took our walk, and the boys did their chores.

When it was time to go to bed, I think Joanna and Jenny were up knitting and talking about making dresses from the Regency period or something like that..

The next day I took Jenny out on my errand run: we worked out, dropped off recycling at the recycling center, ran out of gas (ugh!), had lunch and went garage sale-ing. She did seem to enjoy her first visit to the Beef-a-Roo. (Yes, we indulged in a Jamocha Shake!) I rested when we got home, and I think she did also. She was up helping Joanna make the ultimate chocolate cake for Jamie's birthday party that night. So, yes, we had a birthday party planned for Jamie, which involved inviting kids and their families over for build-your-own pizza, cake and wild games. Oh, and I did some break dancing during the party. (that would require an entire post of its own..)

And yes that was just LAST night. This morning, Jenny got up and hung with Joanna during the meetings, since I was home. We had lunch, and then she and Jo made a duct-tape dress form for Jo. All that to say, we didn't do anything special!

And yet, I really think she had a special time. And it occurred to me: the reason people are not courageous in hospitality is because they think they have to create a special time for their guests, rather than let a special time develop around the daily things you have going.

People feel special when they know you care about them--not because you have dusted every square inch of the house. Half of me was cringing at the thought of having guests last night, since I can't really remember the last deep cleaning that I've done. And then I caught myself.

Do you really think Jamie and his friends (and their families) are going to care if the kitchen was so busy with pizza toppings, flour, growing Mt. Dish, and pop can towers? probably not. They probably will remember Mrs. Webber break dancing, though. (beg me to tell the story..)
Darling! You push too hard... (The Incredibles, Edna Mode)

Anyway, (stay focused....) We had a wonderful time with our new friend Jenny. And it was a lot like having another daughter in. (If I had given birth at 18....) And yet, she was a lot like a younger sister. She's just at the next step of the journey where Joanna will be in a few years. She has a growing relationship with the Lord Jesus, married to a Christian man, homemaking, and wanting a baby. She has an interest in cooking, sewing, and all the homemaking things. It was a real encouragement!

So, if you guys are sitting on the fence with hospitality, don't be scared. Even if you are a bumbling hedgehog, like me, you can do it.

For more make my home sing, visit: Moms the Word.



9 comments:

sara said...

Jena, believe me, what you do in creating a fun, comfortable place for people without actually "doing" anything is a gift and it is one I do not have. And I'm this close to giving up praying for the gift of hospitality because every time I do, the Lord sends me guests. (That's a joke - sort of.)

I'm glad you had a nice time and am glad little Emily is feeling better.

Organizing Mommy said...

Sara--haven't heard from you in a while. I tried to go to your blog, but it is protected now, keeping snipers like me out. LOL.

I don't even think of hospitality as a gift. It's just a thing. It's just a thing we do--for better or worse.

Mrs. Parunak said...

BREAK DANCING? You do have pictures, right? Maybe a short movie: "This is the Organizing Mommy blitzing...and now here she is BREAK DANCING." At the very least, you ARE going to tell the story, aren't you???

And thanks for the encouragement on hospitality. I am always the happiest visiting people when I can see what their lives are actually like rather than feel like I've made them feel obligated to wear themselves out with extras just because I'm there.

Roxanna said...

Hospitality is a gift :) There are many many who can make someone feel really unwelcome. Sometimes I wonder if they really are being rude or just don't know better. I doubt any guest feel that way at your house :)

I really need to try this blitz thing...

Herding Grasshoppers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oops... trying again...

Jena,

Good for you - rescuing a Sunday morning at home with a unique and special worship time! I mean, (for real), cleaning is something we do for our family and for the Lord, right?

And... Woo-hoo! Bring on the break dancing! Video???

I'm all over your brand of hospitality. You don't have to "put on the Ritz" to make people feel welcome... and that's what really matters - feeling welcome.

Sara, if it's any encouragement... It doesn't come naturally to everyone. I have to take a deep breath and remind myself: they'll remember how I made them comfortable, not the dust on my table or the piles of laundry in my bathroom.

Just let people know you're glad they came. That's what matters.

You can do it!

(Off soap box now!)

Julie

The Queen Mommy said...

Jena, I think God knows MOMMIES better than we know ourselves - and sometimes it takes GETTING CLEANED UP that allows us more time for Him. I know when I allow a few days to clutter up my house, I FEEL it in my spirit and it's harder to get to Him for the obvious distractions in front of my face. A blitz was a great idea while you were home with your little one who needed you. And hopefully, now, you have more time for HIM when you get some quiet moments. =) God knows how busy we are - and although HE certainly didn't have to rest, I'd like to think He created the Sabbath especially for mommies who need breaks to have time for Him. =)

Jenny P. said...

Jena,
I had an absolutely wonderful time -- I think my favorite moments were when things seemed to be going wrong (you are going to write about that, right? :D). Thank you so much for having me! And, yes, the break dancing is completely unforgetable. If only I had thought to grab a camera...

momstheword said...

Sounds like a fun time and glad your daughter is feeling better. Seriously need to see the break-dancing pictures though, lol!

The first time you wrote Jenny's name you put a link to MY blog instead. Boy, was I surprised to see it, lol!

However, the second time it's a link to her blog, so I will be popping over there later to "meet" her. Thanks for linking up, my friend!