Saturday, May 1, 2010

2 days!!!

2 days, I tell you, 2 whole days without internet.. (gasp, sputter, shake face back and forth)

I have no idea why our internet was shut off, except that the Lord knew that I, like all addicts, need to go cold turkey once in a while. So, while I had my unplanned break, here is everything in the world that I've been doing.

1. Edited and typed my half of the program for the homeschool graduation ceremony. This is where each of the graduates find some profound quote or verse, tell us what they will be doing after high school and thank everyone for their wonderful success.

Most notable quote so far: A kid quotes himself and signs his name as the quoter. (Like a 17 year old is worthy of spewing forth quotable quotes..) It was, "This is the month to stop procrastinating" huh?

Most notable future plans: To live happily ever after... (in your parent's garage? what? )

Most notable thanks: to the girl who lists every single friend she has and a special private joke for each of them.. (yes, I just made a list of the people and left the side comments behind)

2) Another thing I have done is write a draft of Jamie's graduation party invitation.

3) Start laundry. O.K. it is not done at the time of this writing.

4) Make banana bread.

5) Go to a garage sale and find some deck furniture. ($35.00! really cute too)

6) Planted a bunch of seeds in the ground and transplanted my parsley.

7) Studied my Bible study for next Thursday.

and 8) Attended the kids' solo concerts at Rockford College.

So, the real question was: did I get more done without being on the computer? YES!

Do I feel a little less ADD when I'm not on the computer? YES!

Should I give up the computer for ever and ever? probably not.

But I may get more organized with my time if I set some limits around here. What do you guys do to stay focused with life, even when the computer/ blogging/ blog reading gets out of control???





11 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Wow! You sure have been busy! I've been feeling convicted lately about spending a little less time on the computer, and I've been thinking that I probably would get more done if I had some better limits. Looks like you've just added some confirmation for me that, yes, indeed I probably would be a little more productive. I'll look forward to seeing if your other commenters have some good ideas for reasonable limits.

Braley Mama said...

last week was a good break for me too. the Lord know how to shake us up:O)

sara said...

I gave my laptop to my husband and asked him to hide it and only give it to me twice a week. I'm sure this makes me some kind of co-dependent or some other weird thing but it's working for us. I've been getting enough sleep and journaling like crazy and I washed my kitchen cabinets. And I've been a nicer person to be around - I think because my brain is less fried from the thousands of (mostly good) ideas I encounter on the Internet.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

There are seasons... I mean, literal seasons. We have darkness and rain for about 6 months, it seems like, and I spend more time on the computer.

Then summer comes and... I take a bloggy break-ation sometimes!

Sometimes I set a timer on my desk and when I give the kids a "recess" (you know, "go outside and get sweaty") I give myself 15 or 20 minutes to read and 'visit'.

Priorities...

MommaMindy said...

I almost am going through DT's after a week without internet. We were at a hotel that charged $16.50 a day for wireless. Yea, right! I didn't get anything done with my time, though, just suntanning and relaxing and looking at HAWAIIN palm trees! :)

MommaMindy said...

I think I left out an A.....
hmmmmmm....maybe my brain didn't make it back to the mainland...

Herding Grasshoppers said...

PS Welcome back :D

Kathryn said...

Wow. Great job.

I feel very "ADD" on the computer sometimes & forget all the things i meant to do & just waste time. Of course, i have a lot more time that is unclaimed than have you.

Family will do that, i guess.

I missed you, tho. :)

Mrs.B said...

WOW, I took a needed break also. But I really missed my friends and reading the blogs.

But it is good to take that time off some times

Jenny P. said...

I know exactly how you feel. Our internet has been very hit-or-miss lately. Unfortunately... I sit here hitting "refresh" praying it'll connect THIS time.

I'm so glad you got so much completed off-line. Maybe one of these days I'll get my act together, too :)

Ruby said...

I spent way too much time on the computer last year, my first year in blog land, and had to continually put up limits. This year I have cut that time in half and life is going much better :-)