Sunday, May 2, 2010

The final stretch!!

At the beginning of the home school year, the prospect of it finishing is so long off, that you settle into this routine of craziness, with fresh resolve to "do it better this year". Whatever it was about last year that did not make the cut, in my mind, is going to be fixed this year.

We need to read more ...or Let's stop the running and be home more.. or All we do is... We need to add... We need to drop the... etc.

High hopes, I tell you. By the holidays, I usually feel pretty good about school and life and activities. And we're already half way! And then second semester sets in. And the dreaded February hits.... life is hard, dark, cold and there's way too many weeks until Spring Break.

But before you know it, break comes and goes. And the final six weeks are upon us. And it's all rush rush rush to the finish line. Every musical performance, every homeschool fair, bee, bowl, competition, test, and contest, and project board is all due NOW. Everyone needs clean socks and tidy shoes, and no one is home for dinner. Except when they are, and they wonder where dinner is.

So, it might be part of the reason why I feel kind of disjointed in my head at this time of year. It has nothing to do with the wild piano playing by Hudson, who has recently decided to "take up" piano. Anything that can be played wild and loud seems to be his preference. I think he asked Jamie and Jo for help and is playing all sorts of things. I need to get him lessons.. one more thing to do.

In the meantime, I want to tell you about the interesting lunch I served today. Our guest said,
"So, what do you call this?"

In someone else's family the answer to that question might be straightforward. Not here.

Just the asking of the question makes the kids laugh.

So I said, "South of the border moose"

Other options:

"Canada meets Mexico"

"Mexican moose"

"Leftover moose on chips"

But it was actually pretty good, despite the weird comments. Yesterday I took two large moose roasts and slow cooked them in the oven all day. I broke apart the meat and returned it to the pan. I sauteed some peppers, onions and garlic in butter and added them to the shredded moose and put them back in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. We had "Italian moose" last night.

Today, I put the leftover moose/ veggies in a pot with: salsa, kidney beans, a little chili powder and salt and served "Mexican Moose" over crushed tortilla chips, lettuce, cucumbers, cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc.

Now I'm sorry for everyone who couldn't make it for lunch, but it was decent.

So, after the big discussion over what to call the dish, our guest asks, "Does it have a recipe?"

Which made everyone slap their hands on their legs and laugh out loud.

Things to do:

1) Help my family learn social graces
2) Get some myself first
3) Use recipes
4) Plan meals
5) Get piano lessons for Liberace (Hud)
6) Buy a leotard for Pavlova (Emily)
7) Hire a secretary for me

That's all I can think of for now.



9 comments:

becky o said...

oh my; even your meals crack me up!

you should've served it with a side of squirrel and called it a cartoon network special

momstheword said...

I have never had moose. We are in that end-of-year rush too. My goodness! It always just seems to come so fast and all at once.

Of course, we have some ministries wrapping up at church too, and the kids have things they're involved in that are wrapping up. So everyone is just busy, busy!

Maybe we can share that secretary, lol! Thanks for linking up today.

MommaMindy said...

You nailed all the feelings and emotions of the year. I get spring fever something FIERCE at the end of the year. Often we do school outside on the deck, on the trampoline or on the grass in a blanket. I want to finish strong, I just tend to go WITH the fever, instead of against it.

Braley Mama said...

that sounds yummy! you make me excited to home school:O)

Becky said...

Pretty much sounds like a standartd year here too. We are in the end-of-the-year crunch, and I'm sooo looking forward to being done. One will graduate the end of May or the first part of June, and one will graduate a little later, then I'll just have three to school.

Organizing Mommy said...

Becky O: I'm saving the cartoon network special for when YOU come next!! LOL. Hey does anybody know how to cook squirrel? Becky is coming over! We had Pasquale over. He loved it. And made a bunch of carrot juice for him--which is his fave. (bugs bunny juice!)

Braley Mama: I know you'll be just as zany as I am. You need to give birth a few more times and move some more first!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY!

(and if you add "Fudgie" to the end of that, my boys will laugh too.)

Except our things are winding down, not up for the end of the year. I suppose that will change as they get older...

I spent all day Friday (boys at my folks') figuring out what we really have to do to finish and then mapping out next year.

So much more fun to plan than to do. Or maybe that's just me. ;D

I haven't had any moose for years (*sigh*) but I have a couple of elk roasts and some elk sausage left in my freezer. Come for dinner?

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

Ah... Elk. I like "elk tacos" which is the only way I've ever made elk.

I feel like I should rename this site to: the redneck cooking channel.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I'll go with that, but I draw the line at "The Roadkill Grill".

You know... "You kill it, we grill it."