Monday, May 31, 2010

Hello from Berlin!

Yes, I got here.
Of course I am having a blast.
And yes, I managed to talk everyone's ear off in the entire airplane within arm's reach.

Even though I made many notable friendships in my air travels, one fella was particularly helpful in that he managed to recount Germany's history from the dawn of creation until the present in the length of a flight from London to Berlin. And when he mentioned Martin Luther, I brightened right up, "the father of the reformation!" and started licking my chops for a good discussion on the reformation.

Alas, it was not to be. The most important thing Luther did, according to my new historian friend, was unify the German language. And so my notable historian friend manged to give me a list of all of the great things to see in Berlin. The first thing he mentioned was the Museum Island, the "New" Neues Museum where the original bust of Nefertitti and a hundred or more original Egyptian artifacts are being displayed. Fascinating! Will and I were able to see it today.

I have seen pictures of the sarcofigi and mummied caskets, often gilded, ornamented, and beautiful. But I never dreamed that I'd encounter them so soon. The heiroglyphs are absolutely amazing. They carved these distinct details of their language into hard stone that still lives on today to tell their story.

I have a particular interest in Egyptian history and have done some reading on it. Berlin is a city of culture and education. I am quite impressed--as I knew I would be. I was under the impression that most of the Egyptian artifacts were in London, but now I am convinced that they have found a new home amongst a city and people where history is preserved and valued.

Whenever I travel, I do my best to secure enough of the history, culture, people, and their values to know more about their country/ area have a distinct impression in my mind when I leave. Even though I have only begun my sightseeing adventure, I believe it will be an unprecedented trip as far as history and knowledge are concerned.

Do I consider it to be a coincidence that my first impressions of Berlin were from an educated "tour guide" that happened to be sitting next to me on my flight?

And Will and I managed to meet up in Berlin--he on one flight and airline, and me on another. And now we are enjoying the comforts of our hotel. He starts his business tomorrow, and I continue being a tourist. I will continue to form my opinions and impressions of this great area and send them your way. quite nicely for this trip.
And for those of you who care, my hair has been behaving

I knew you'd be worried.

5 comments:

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Your hair has been behaving... better than you? ;D

Were you able to take pictures of the Egyptian artifacts?

Looking forward to pics of your trip...

Julie

Kathryn said...

Hope you have a wonderful time! Guten Tag. :)

Braley Mama said...

Sounds awesome!
Yippy for good hair:O)

Eos Mom said...

Sounds fabulous! What a great "tourguide" on your flight!!!

Mrs. Parunak said...

How neat that you got a little "preview" on your airplane ride, even if the guy didn't know much about the Reformation. I can't wait to hear more about what you learn of the history and culture!