Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sobriety amidst Mardi Gras..

The decor of the inner section of the hotel revealed an inspired plan to imitate the Louisiana-French architecture and style of the 1903 Riverboat excursion. Think Mark Twain on the Mississippi. Ornate French-style urns cradled tropical luxury flowers in the commons called the "Rotunda" of our Hotel Breakers, off the shore of Lake Erie. If it hadn't been a breezy, crisp evening, no doubt we would have been basking on the shoreline, watching the sunset engulf the landscape.

As it was, I was still slightly sensitive to the stimuli, after having experienced the phone call no mom ever wants to hear.

"The car rolled off the highway and was totalled.."

"And?"

"And the boys are O.K. "

And the boys are O.K..... Yes, there were two cars traveling together to Cedar Point on their senior trip. All the kids were exhausted from the graduation ceremony, the late night activities leading up the event. And then the unthinkable happened, not one, not two, but all three kids fell asleep--even the one at the wheel.

As their little car when back and across the freeway, the Lord sent his angels to gently guide the car to the side of the road, with a jerky roll. The kids got out of the car as fast as they could and were sitting on the hill--all three of them--alive!

So, our Jamie, was one of the kids in the car--a passenger in the back seat. The other boy was Caleb. The driver was Joel, probably the sweetest, most wholesome man to ever come out of a Nebraska corn stalk. (His mother is from Nebraska, I think..)

Jamie said it felt like he was getting rolled out of bed in the morning. He was basically non-plussed. Caleb was calm. Joel, being the sensitive, caring, responsible guy that he is, was an emotional wreck.

I just barely hung up with Joel's mother when Caleb's mother walked into our house. She was crying and shaking. Will walked in also.

And for some unexplained reason, I felt the peace of God, unlike I've ever experienced. I was at ease with everything. It's not like I can't hold my own in the drama-queen, worrying department. But this time it was different.

Since Regina was beside herself and wanted to see her son, I started asking the Lord if there's anything I should be doing. The Lord opened a way for me to drive Regina, her sister and brother in law to the scene of the accident in Indiana.

Now Regina and I are friends, and our kids know each other and we even live near each other, but her kids are into totally different things than ours. Her kids play drums, bass guitar and the like. Their "gigs" are rowdy "gigs" if you will. You know our "gigs" get really crazy on Bach.. Her kids are major athletes--especially basketball. Basketball is huge at our homeschool co-op, and I'm so thankful the kids have the opportunity to play. For some odd reason, our kids have never even requested to attend the games? (How dorky can we get?)

But I've always liked her. She has a lot of cats, and if I ever have a stray cat hanging out at the house, I can count on her to come and get it and add it to her collection. One day one of her kitties carried all her babies over to my front stoop and was basking in the sun with them.

I was perplexed about this until I remembered that I once put the grilled salmon carcass out for a kitty. Apparently the post-pardum kitty had a "craving" for salmon. I happened to call Regina, on a whim, to see if there were her kitties. Sure enough they were..

Anyway, we had enough of a history between us to get her to laugh on the way down. I really felt like my mission field for the next couple of days was to use this very traumatic thing in the lives of the people who were closest to it and impart peace-the type of peace that ONLY God can give. And for some reason he gave it to me to share.

Peace of the Sovereignty of GOD. God is good.

So, I'd like to share more of these thoughts of God's Sovereignty and his goodness tomorrow.

But the bottom line is this: everyone is safe and home now. The kids were able to continue on the trip and enjoy Cedar Point the next day. The moms were able to enjoy themselves a little too. And God was in it all.

11 comments:

MommaMindy said...

Praising the Lord tonight for three boys who just experienced the amazing deliverance of the Lord. May this be life-changing for all of them, and may they be still and hear His voice. Above all, I am worshipping that three families are rejoicing and not weeping.

Ruby said...

God is good!
Looking forward to reading here tomorrow.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Wow. That is an incredible story. Praise the Lord for His sovereign mercy.

sara said...

I wasn't going to comment because I have really nothing worthy to say - but I want you to know that I'm still here, feeling what you wrote.

Give thanks to the Lord for he is good. His mercy endures forever.

Berean Wife said...

So glad the Lord took care of them. This will be something they never forget and hopefully grow from the experience.

Berean Wife

Mrs. Santos said...

Thank you for sharing. God is good.

Kathryn said...

Wow. Oh wow.

That is just . . . awesome & totally frightening at the same time. I so agree that: "Above all, I am worshiping that three families are rejoicing and not weeping."

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Thank you LORD! Hallelujah that everyone is ALL RIGHT!!!

I had wondered why your blog was quiet for a couple of days.

And, you know, this may sound weird...

but how wonderful that it was just sleepiness. Not drugs. Not alcohol. Nobody has that kind of guilt to deal with.

Rejoicing with you,

Julie

Herding Grasshoppers said...

PS you are excused from blitzing today ;D

Audrey said...

...and this we know that ALL things work together for good for those who love the Lord. Thanks be to God that those children were covered by praying/believing parents.

Braley Mama said...

PTL!!!!! Wow, I am so amazed by how He used you, how even though you are a momma you still let Him to work thru u!!!! Praying for His glory in this time!!!! And praising Him for all of their safety!