Friday, May 7, 2010

Which hat today, Mom?

When the Hud was a little critter, he would bounce out of his room wearing a complete outfit, including a hat. Some days he had on his favorite pooh bear shirt, red suspenders and a big cowboy hat. On other days, he would be fully decked out in a suit with a brimmed fedora.

It didn't matter what time of day it was, he could always find an excuse for changing his outfit. During those days (those were the North Dakota years..) I didn't even bother to fold his clothes. I had a big drawer that everything went in when it was clean. He could rifle through that drawer faster than a rolling "O" and find whatever costume he wanted for the moment.

I had a babysitter once tell me that he "emerged" with a new outfit six times during her three hour visit. I didn't even bat an eyelash over this. She couldn't stop laughing as she described every single outfit. I just rolled my eyes.

For the most part, at 14, Hud appears to only wear one outfit a day. But he has kept the hat thing going, which is great. I can always find him a "new" hat at a garage sale to add to his collection.

If changing your hat often equates to a change in responsibilities, my kids have been wearing a lot of hats lately. In a sense, each kid, on each day, wear a different "hat". Which may be the reason for the general lack of blogging around here lately: I'm shuffling "hats" around for them, hoping that juggle of things doesn't come crashing down in a heap.

Our oldest, Jamie, is wearing the "graduate" cap lately. In one week, he'll be marching down the aisle with 29 other homeschool graduates at the graduation ceremony. He is helping me put together the program for graduation and making a slide show with pictures of all the other graduates. Lately, he's been wearing the "campaign manager hat", helping three of his buddies campaign for student council office. His campaign posters were hilarious! And all three kids were elected in!

Next is Joanna who is wearing the "over-achiever" hat (x 32) , if you know what I mean. She is not only hoping for/ striving for straight A's, she took on this massive sewing project to enter a sewing scholarship contest which involved making her own dress. We just barely finished it to get her to the homeschool banquet last night. Can we relax a little now, Jo?

Hud is wearing a basic "8th grade cello player hat" these days. While he saunters through his school work, he pretty much spends his time on his cello or piano (6?? hours a day). He has an audition today for the Northern Illinois Christian Youth Orchestra. (Actually, all the kids are auditioning for it..) He also made his "choir debut" this week with his choir class performing at the Homeschool class performances on Tuesday. Hhmmm... do you think he likes music?

Nathanael hasn't put down the fancy camera that dad got out of the closet yesterday. (It's a non-digital.. "antique" camera from the 90's). During his solo recital last Saturday, he really did a great job on his cello. He's done very well for his first year of "hard" school, with science projects and literature class tests. Way to go, Than. This will be his first year participating in the summer orchestra, N I C Y O.

And Emily.. part of me wants to say,"Hey! She's too young to have a schedule!" but nevertheless, we can't hold a kid back. She had not one, but two debuts at the performance on Tuesday. Her Bible class did a big singing show with costumes. And her ballet class did a fabulous dance to "A bushel and a peck".. She looked confident up there dancing! I was sitting there thinking, "Is THIS my baby?"

So, while we are wearing "whip lash" collars instead of hats these days, we are so blessed to be the parents of these very busy but highly talented young people. So, YES, the house is a mess, and NO, I haven't made dinner in a while, and YES, there is a pile of laundry to do, and NO, we haven't had and aren't planning any guests for a while, and YES, most definitely, YES.. LIFE is GOOD. Praise the Lord.

11 comments:

Eos Mom said...

Bravo! That is all wonderful news and I don't know how you juggle it all!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I think with that much going on I would collapse in a twitching heap, but you all sound wonderful :D

Glad to know things are perking along.

Julie

Organizing Mommy said...

HA.. that's not to say that I didn't have a mighty headache last night! It's over now, and today we blitz!!!

Jenny P. said...

It sounds like your life is in a lovely sort of chaos. I'm so glad Joanna got her dress done -- I can't wait for pictures!

Braley Mama said...

"Her children rise up and call her blessed."
What neat kiddos you are training up! Do u all have a cello in ur house? That would be so cool! Happy Mother's day!!!

Becky said...

Isn't it interesting how, when things really get geared up at home, nothing really gets done IN the home. Our house is looking pretty rough, and the laundry has been backed up for a week while we're trying to get finished up with some of the school, and get all the outside/gardening work done. I've got two trying to get things done so they can graduate too. Whew! Oh gosh, that means I have to arrange graduation stuff. I guess I need to revamp that list.

Organizing Mommy said...

About the kids: Jamie plays violin; Joanna viola, Hud, cello, and Nathanael, cello. And they all play piano to a small or large degree.

Emily? harp? not sure yet.

momstheword said...

It's amazing how our busy kids can make us busy too, lol!

My youngest used to love to wear costumes. He just loved them. He would watch a video and then want us to help him make a costume so he could act out the character.

We have pictures of him wearing socks over his hands or wearing baseball hats or anything to help simulate a costume!

Ruby said...

I posted yesterday that I was passing myself on the front stairs this week, but wow! I can see how you would have whip lash! Where do you get the energy?
My dress up kids are left home now but I am building up a box for grandchildren.
Hope your blitz was rewarding. Have a good weekend. I

Mrs. Parunak said...

Good for you and all your multi-hat-wearing kids. What a rich, full life you all are living!

The dB family said...

Heh heh! Whiplash collars! I love it! It seems to be about the same here, but for different reasons. What's life without the busyness? Sounds like you have it all under control though!

Blessings!
Deborah