Monday, July 12, 2010

Makes you appreciate higher education...

So, my four oldest kids are hard-workin' farm kids this week. Sure 'nuf.

They leave the house at 4:30 a.m. and arrive at the pickup station at 5:00 to catch the bus. The bus takes them to the fields and they work in the heat, rain, mud and bugs all day de-tassling corn.


As we sat at the table with a hearty meal of meat and potatoes, I asked,

"Did you feel like slaves out there?"

Jo: "For a few minutes I did, actually"

Me: "Did you start singing any old slave songs?"

Kids: "No!!"

Jo: "And you should see the other kids on the bus. They come to work in their pajamas"
Than: "or wear garbage bags"

Me: "pajamas and garbage bags.. how glamorous! What do they sleep in at night?"

Hud: "their jeans, of course.."

Jamie:" I guess I'm not a farm person, because I do NOT get the attraction. If I look back, I can see the bus. It looks about this big.. (puts his fingers together to about an inch) and if I look forward,all I see is corn going on forever.. I just don't get why people love the prairie.."

He continues, "And when I told Andy what we were doing this week, he said..

I hear that really makes you want to get a higher education!

Will and I just winked at each other and said, "yeah.. this IS good for them.. really good!"

Every kid should do at least one week of corn de-tassling when deciding whether or not to pursue a higher education. Who needs study skills after this experience? They can get their own butts motivated after this!

Yee-haw. And I love being a farming mama. I sit around in my empty house all day while my little one sleeps all morning because she thinks she needs to get up and see them off each morning. And then she takes a little nap by 6 or 7 and doesn't get up until after 10.

In the meantime, I feel like the school bus came and trotted everyone off. I make my coffee, have my Bible reading time.. blog a little.. etc. Oh, life is good, good indeed.

6 comments:

Ruby said...

Is this a Summer holdiay job for your children? LOL! Looks as though it;s study, study, study for them now.
Your day does sound rather good though!
Put your feet up and enjoy. And how about corn something for dinner?

Organizing Mommy said...

Ruby, Yes, this is a summer job for the four older kids. It is just 1-2 week job, but they work 6-7 hours a day until it is done--taking Sunday off.

Around here, there are many corn fields, so kids get jobs de-tassling certain types of corn. We are not farmers, so I really do not get what they are doing. No doubt after two days on the job, my kids are "experts" already!

Braley Mama said...

This is a very good motivator to stay in school:O)
Great idea mama!

The dB family said...

I will keep this in mind for the not too distant future. Another great one while pursuing higher education, is tree planting. You are keenly reminded why you are paying the big bucks for higher education.

Blessings!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Here in my area it's berry picking. Strawberries, then raspberries, and then blueberries.

Can you believe this... I started at eight years old! The bus picked me up around 6 or 6:30 and I got home around 4:30.

I hated it. But you do get the point!

Julie

Sabrina said...

I guess it's kind of like working in tobacco here; although, kids really don't do that much anymore--machines do. And there are such strict regulations on tobacco farmers these days....

Anyway, a REAL good motivator!!