Thursday, July 22, 2010

More stuff


It's hard to recognize a good deal unless you know what is good. Do you see the skillet? It's a West Bend liquid core electric skillet. I think it is over $200.00 retail. On ebay, right now, it is running $129.00.

And I just picked one up at a garage sale for $3.00. Just another plug in skillet, right? Yes and no. Yes, it is an MLM product, a good one, as far as I can tell. And it is a very pricey one at that.

It reminds me of something. So many people of this life are passing by all the good deals of this life in exchange for the drivel at high prices. And I'm not talking about cookery, clothing, and an outdoor campfire device. I'm talking about appreciation of the Lord Jesus and all the fullness of the deity dwelling bodily.

How often do we forget what to buy because we never were trained to look for it in the first place? We had no idea it was of a high value, until it was too late.

I am officially in what people would term as "middle life". Statistically, people live beyond my age just as long as they have lived. Now, if I die tomorrow, that will throw things off a tad, for me. But no one can take away the fact that I've arrived this far. And I'm here to say that I'd like to draw a line in the sand.

That side over there is where I came from, and this side over here is where I am going.

The side that I came from is quick to forget eternity, the Lord, my focus and my real meaning in this life. It wants to be appreciated for something as lame as having an organized home, finding a bargain, cooking a good meal or telling a funny story.

The side where I am going?

I would like to make an effort, starting today, to let those who are experts in drivel, deal with it. And I, I would like to be on the other side of the line and stop the madness of being in expert in nothing in particular for no other reason than to say that I was.

And I'm not even sure how I am going to get there. But I'm not staying here.

Here is where I was, not where I am going.

Yes, having an organized home, a good meal and a funny story are the things that make this life more palatable. They lull us into a full tummy happiness, filled with the aroma of baked apple pie and the sounds of crackling fire.

But what do they do for us, eternally?

If I can organize shoes for Jesus, I will do it. If I can give out a recipe for the glory of God, fine. But if this is one big pathetic display of my narcisistic egrandisement, I think it needs to stop.

At the end of my days, will my Lord say, "I see that you have had your reward in full.

So, you have no need for my approval. Your blog is your idol, isn't it?"

And so with that happy thought, I am taking a break to pray. I will either find a way to use this for God's glory, or I will be done.

In one week, I will be back, and I will tell you what the Lord has been telling me.

I will return with either 1) a blog with a fresh focus on the Lord Jesus, that gives him the glory or 2) an interesting set of archives and some wonderful friends.

But no more idols.





10 comments:

Kathryn said...

I can't speak to your issues with your conscience. That is yours to deal with on your own.

However, creating friendships is not a bad thing. You might not be as "evangelic" as you feel you should, but you do share about your life & your walk with God. None of us really ever know when we plant seeds & if they grow. Sometimes folks let us know at a later date but i think most often we won't know until we are together in His Presence.

I don't think it is wrong to desire to connect with other folks. I deeply desire friendships with more depth, & they aren't easy to come by (for me, anyway). Of course, i have to admit that i also desire for folks to come by & tell me what brilliant thoughts i share! It doesn't happen much. Helps me put things into perspective - i'm not the resplendent writer that i think myself to be. Getting feedback from others isn't necessarily a bad thing. But once again, you have to decide for yourself where the problem lies.

I'd miss your friendship if you leave.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Jena, thank you for this honest, sincere, and godly commitment. I, too, would miss your friendship very much. BUT as another blogger who struggles daily with keeping her eyes on the eternal and not idolizing her blog, all I can say is AMEN! Keep listening to the Lord. HE is our treasure. HE is the point of life, not our blogs, not our recipes, not our shows that we put on for other people. He must increase. I must decrease. If my eyes are on HIM, that will make me excited. If they are on ME, that will make me afraid. It sounds like your eyes are on Him right now. Praise Him for that.

Jenny P. said...

:) God bless, I pray you'll find clarity and direction.

Becky said...

It is probably something we should all think/pray about more often. Gotta admit, I'm kinda hoping for the first choice, but you have to follow God's direction.

Braley Mama said...

Praying for you sister!
We need to keep our eyes on the eternal. A heart for eternity. He is always teaching us something and I hope to keep you around, but praying for God's will:O) hugs!!!!!!

Fruitful Vine2 said...

I faced such a decision not too long ago. I am thankful for the voice of the Holy Spirit who keeps speaking to us to help us have the right perspective and priorities.

I pray that you would hear clearly as the Lord speaks to you. Blessings.

The Boojes said...

Thanks for the apt reminder. I'll be praying you know where to go with this.

Eos Mom said...

I can't tell you what to do, and if you want to add more God-talk to your blog, I'm fine with that, but I want you to know that I like visiting your blog and reading about your take on anything from organizing to family life so I hope you won't disappear! That's my two cents.

Organizing Mommy said...

It's only been a short while of praying about this, but I am encouraged by your comments. I think I am just going to re-focus myself and the blog for the next season. Praying about what direction to go. So, I appreciate all of you praying for wisdom!! Thanks. And I may be back before the week is out, if the Lord gives me an answer sooner than a week!

LA said...

Hey, O-Mommy.
Your post was exceptionally interesting and you have been in my prayers the past couple weeks FYI.

"Only one life, and then 'tis past. Only what's done for Christ will last."

May the Lord direct. May we listen.