Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's really not so bad..

You know how we launched our first child off to college this past week?

And I spent most of last school year wondering how we would survive graduation?

And then I spent several weeks wondering if I'd survive this massive graduation party?

And then I spent several weeks trying to figure out if I'd ever get over being sick? or having allergies? or whaaaateeever it was making me feel crappy?

And then I got some allergy medicine and decided that there was only one month left before the child left for school, so I'd better spend some time being sad and depressed?

And then there wasn't any more time to be sad, so we just wondered how to survive the last week.

And then, was I going to live long enough to see him leave the O'Hare airport and actually get to school??

And then it was scramble scramble scramble to rearrange all the furniture in the house, start school AND have Grandma and Grandpa Webber visit on the first day of Hallstrom.

And for some odd reason, I feel a very peaceful sense of relief.

And I'm almost ashamed to admit it. I'm happy, not sad that he's there. He loves it and is having fun. He's being challenged and making friends. He hasn't been able to remember to eat dinner very often, but he's working on it. LOL.

And I? I am not scrambling around trying to get him a trainer, another SAT score, a perfect transcript, robotics fund raising and all that jazz. In fact, I have forbid robotics for this year.

We are even cutting down on music lessons for this semester. (I know. I know.. what a slacking family!)

So, when you are wondering if the teenage years are hard, they are. But only if your child is causing pain to your heart by rejecting the Lord. Other than being very exhausting, having teens is kind of like cashing in your 401K. You finally get to see some fruit for your labor. Time will tell what type of fruit--spiritual, academic, work ethic, etc.?

But there is a sense of rest, if you will, from the whole grueling experience reaching to this level. In a sense, their lives are just beginning. They have choices to make. We've given them the tools to make good decisions, but they have to struggle through those things and find what is good. And deal with it when they choose what is bad.

And now the real work begins--prayer. My friend, Kathy, reminded me what a tough job praying is. I had never thought of it as hard, but then, I have never prayed a lot. I'm a bouncing hedgehog. It's hard to sit still, you know? But I'm going to have to find new ways to pray, since that will be my number one way to help my son at college. There are no rules about praying. I hear you can pray while you are taking walks or doing all sorts of things.

So, is this such a bad time in our lives? No, it's really not so bad. And it's probably because I have 218 people praying for us. Thanks so much!



Post a Comment