Saturday, August 21, 2010

Launched

Well, the time has finally come. Our oldest child, Jamie, is launched. He is an adult now.

He booked his own flight to school, without our help. Paid for it, without our help. Will and the some of the kids brought him to the bus station that goes to O'Hare at 5:30 a.m. yesterday (Saturday). The Van Galder bus took him to the airport, where he was dumped off with his ONE big bag.
In that one bag is everything he thinks he needs for school. He no sooner arrived and checked in his bag when he realized that his flight was scheduled for 9:00 p.m. instead of 9:00 a.m. like he thought.
So, he spent the next 13 hours in O'Hare with his backpack and the Lord. He had one hour of internet on his laptop and another on his IPOD. He tried to get on the 11:00 a.m. flight, but it was already overbooked and bumping people off. So, he managed to find things to fill his time for 13 hours until his flight.
When he arrived to check in to his real flight, they too were overbooked. So, who do they pick for a bump? The college kids who pay low fees for their tickets, of course. So, they bumped him. He was put up in the Airport Hotel and given a flight voucher for another free flight. (at this rate, it is faster to drive, but I won't tell him that..)
So, he managed to finally get on the plane at 11:00 a.m. today (Sunday), a full 27 hours later. Was he upset? or ruffled? not particularly. He just took it in stride and made his way there today, a little after lunchtime.
One of the things my husband said to him when he realized this fiasco was this, "So, you wanted to be independent. How are you liking your independence now?" I would guess he took it in stride and said, "It's all right".. And like... nobody got hurt, and there have been good lessons learned so far, and he hasn't even stepped foot into a classroom yet.
So, there you go. My college roomie (from 20 years ago), Amy and her husband, Brian live near where Jamie is going to school. They agreed to pick him up and drop him off at school. Brian is a pastor of "Bethany Baptist Church" in Dollar Bay, MI. Their church has a little bus that picks up Tech students and brings them to the church each week. I think he'll be on that bus each week.

So, did I have any doubts about whether this fiasco with the tickets was an indicator of his readiness to go to college and be on his own yet? Yes, I did. But the doubts did not last long. If he had called from the airport crying or scared or nervous, I would say, "Hey! he's not ready! We made a big mistake"... As it was, he was as calm and cool as the sky is blue. He is resolved to do well at this adventure, so what's a little setback? It's all part of the plan.

So, other than having a small bit of worry, I survived the launching experience also--especially after I called my friend, Kathy, and she laughed hysterically at what happened. Easy for you to laugh, Kath, it's not your kid! But she got me laughing, which is precisely what I needed to do.
Nobody died. Nobody got hurt. It's all good. Trusting in the Lord is not what I am an expert at, but I will be.. Oh, I will be.

Post a Comment