Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mrs. Beck's pie plate

With hanging head and tail between our legs
Our hearts are sad, and your forgiveness we beg.
While you sat wondering long and far
A strum on the string of a sad guitar
Hummed a tune of great remorse
Your mother's pie plate ran away on a horse
Never to be seen again by pie or berry
It's absence was real; it was missed severely
All the while it tried to make its presence known
Among the dust cobwebs of someone's home

I'm up here! Rescue me please!
It called daily--among some moldy cheese.

Finally a silver gleam caught someone's eye.
Is that Mrs. Beck's pie plate? I hoped with a sigh.

Bring me home to mama! It called from the dust.
Bring me home to mama before I rust!

And down it came, funny rim and fancy fluting.
To serve its owner again and to do its duty-ing.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, I am so organized that I can "loose" something in my home for 4 months or more. And of course, it was Mrs. Beck's favorite pie plate, so you can imagine my great relief when it showed up this week. In the meantime, please please please if you are going to give us food for any reason give it to us in a cardboard box or a disposable container, since we are absolutely incapable of being entrusted with anything beyond our own underwear, thank you.

6 comments:

Ruby said...

It is such a comfort to know that even the (im)famous Organizing Mommy can loose stuff!!
Having lost a few of my own dishes and plates to others I also try to give the edible gifts in disposible containers.

So glad to hear your big lad is happy and settling in and that YOU are coping with it! Your post was very encouraging. Definately a reminder for me to keep praying for my children who are out of the house (as well as the ones still here.)

Lesa's Life said...

Hilarious!

Kristi Lea said...

That's so funny! I'm horrible about it too. I don't mean to be, I just have a HORRIBLE time returning things to people!

Sounds like a great appology to me though!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Well done!

and welcome to my world... ;D

Julie

Mrs. Parunak said...

Haha! That looks EXACTLY like my favorite pie plate (it was my Grandma's), so that just made it all the funnier because I could so identify with the "horror" of losing it!

And I also feel enormous fear any time anyone loans us anything because if we don't lose it, it will probably at least be disassembled and written all over liberally with a contraband Sharpie, or possibly a random pencil, which is in theory erasable, all except for the deep grooves carved by the tremendous force of small hands. Yeah, or just thrown in the toilet. Heh.

singtothelord2 said...

you crack me up!! Here we were all thinking poor Lee had it...even up to the last bit of the announcement that it had been found, I thought he was probably guilty and look it was you...hee hee...I'm glad it was found. I hope she has recovered fro the stress of it all. :-) Love the poem, very creative.