Saturday, September 18, 2010

I'm just an ole fashioned messie

I was reading Sandra Felton's book the Messie Manual. I had to put it down because the human soul can only take so much conviction at one point.

But she helped clarify some things for me. There really are "cleanies" out there who have this orderliness in their brains that would send most of us into convulsions.

Am I organized? Am I clean? Am I obsessive about it? no. no. and no.

But I have basic order, basic cleanliness and mild fits of obsession. But I'm not a "cleanie".

Cleanies have this internal network of what to do in order to make it clean all of the time.

The best I can hope for is the status of a "reformed messie". A messie has chosen a different path from which she is naturally geared for.

And the cleanies say, "Whaaaaaaa? Everyone has to have this internal cleanie thing, because it is so natural and easy for me; therefore, it must be for everyone."

I never said cleanies were perfect and not myopic. They typically get an A+ in myopia. And that is one thing that makes them good cleanies!

But as far as messies are concerned, there are brands.. shades if will.. of messies. While I don't want you to miss the opportunity to get the book and figure your brand out for yourself, I'll just entertain you by giving you "my brand" of messy.

Probably the worst offender for me is: being the old fashioned messy. The old fashioned messy just loves doing things the old fashioned way, just for the fun of it. Being Old Fashioned creates clutter from equipment, mess from more things going on at once, and chaos from extra steps.

In fact, we are old fashioned in so many ways! I like old fashioned cooking, sewing, schooling, crafting, and entertaining ourselves. Will likes old fashioned things like woodworking, do-it-yourselfing, and reading tons of books.

So, there are reasons for our old fashioned-ness. It's not just about eccentric! I am inclined to think that God is in our old fashioned ways, to some extent, at least.

So, I have choices to make, don't I? I can give up being a 1920's housewife, OR I can find ways to cope with my old fashioned ways. At this stage of the game, I'm just finding ways of coping, since I like all that junk. Yes, I have modern things going on around here, despite all prior evidence to the contrary. But I am choosing to remain a messy in this way, for now at least.

And that is probably while I blitz. I do have to live in this century--internet anyone? dishwasher? dryer? (these are very important inventions!)

If you haven't seen or heard of the blitz, click around here and get with the program. It's the only way I live in several decades at once!

Makes my home sing with moms the word.

13 comments:

sara said...

I love all that stuff too, though sometimes I wonder why I insist on doing things the hard way all the time.

Anyway, I love that you are the Organizing Mommy and not the OrganizED Mommy.

And this post was a fun read.

Becky said...

Naturally geared messie. Well, that explains it all - for me, and my natural tendency to overlook messes when I'm trying to get things done. I've never understood how people can constantly keep a house ultra clean. I get all involved in some project or other (and like you, a lot of them have to do with doing things "the old way")and first thing you know I look around and the house looks like an aftershot of tornado alley. :)
I've gotten better over time - or maybe that's just because I have more older children and no toddlers :D, but still....

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Sara nailed it. OrganizING mommy :D

I don't know which I am. The house is and stays fairly clean and tidy, but my office... *shudder*

I must tame it so I can start making Christmas goodies.

Julie

Kathryn said...

I'm kind of in the middle. I'm a frustrated perfectionist, who had developed myopia out of need - both physical & for my sanity. I am literally myopic - if i don't have my contacts in - & developed because it seems i can simply overlook things.

I love old things. I value old things. But i limit what i keep because i just can't take it all in. I have come to the place where i love visiting houses that are done well with antiques or just being beautiful. But i also go home & am (mostly) content.

I wish i could do with fewer "things." But i also love to craft & create, & a certain number of things are required for that. The creating things fills a need in me. I'm messie, but somehow, an "organized messie" at least when i'm on top of things. :)

I agree with Sara & HG, appreciate that you strive but aren't "perfect." And that you share with us.

Kathryn said...

P.S. - wanted to share this blog with you: http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

I love it. It is like looking at the old Victoria magazine. Part of me deeply desires this - but i know it isn't really me. So i love just visiting. :)

Joyfull said...

Kathryn put it perfectly... " Part of me deeply desires this - but i know it isn't really me." Fits me to a "T"! I long for the old fashioned, but love the convenience of the new century. Just seek to find the balance and joy of each day.

Organizing Mommy said...

There are paper messies and collector messies, believe it or not!

Yes, it has been very liberating the write a sort of organizing blog rather than an organized blog, if you know what I mean. Blitzing saves my hide more often than I'd like to admit.

Kathryn, love to go to that site.

Becky: yes, having no more toddlers makes me feel more organized, just because there's less to do.

Braley Mama said...

I am for sure an old fashioned messie too!! I love to cook and make a huge mess all of the time:O) I need to get this book!

Lesa's Life said...

I need to do a blitz today. Works for me, too.

Brandi said...

I am a natural-born messie...ugh. If it wasn't for my husband's desire for cleanliness, my house would really be out of control. Usually, it's books around here that pile up and get cluttered...we're homeschoolers, what can I say?

Blessings!
Brandi

Kathryn said...

Yes, papers are my biggest downfall. Then craft supplies.

Yaya' s Home said...

Ah! I see you are a grasshopper, too. That is actually what I blogged about today; bein' a grasshopper. I also noticed that you have 222 followers an' I jus' thought you would enjoy knowin' that little fact. I'm very happy to meet you, fellow grasshopper.

~ Yaya

Mrs. Parunak said...

Interesting! I'm sure I'm a "messie," too (although, I'm very good at being myopic). I wonder what kind of messie I am. Maybe that's the next book to put on my reading list.